no more petrol or diesel

Ian Faulds

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

People don't believe what they don't want to hear. Greta is not a liar.

59 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

A tad strong I think. As you’ve described naive, misguided, but not a liar.

She tweeted a photo of herself sitting 'on the floor of an overcrowded train through Germany' and when it was pointed out by the train company that she had had a first class seat for most of the journey, along with her entourage, she claims she meant that 'an overcrowded train is great as it means more people are using them'. 

I didn't call her a liar because she told lies. I called her a liar because it's great to see her lying on a floor therefore giving up her seat to someone more needy. Honest.

Boris, at least, admits he doesn't 'get' Global Warming, which is an honest statement. Not that he doesn't believe in it, but he doesn't understand all of the issues that are causing it. Greta on the other hand knows exactly what is causing it, and what we need to do to stop it. Which is what? Don't use any fuel, don't use any resources, don't pollute. She doesn't have any real solution, but just highlights the problem, like someone walking about, complaining about the dark, and getting applause, whilst someone else goes out and invents the lightbulb.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, clive said:

Calm down everybody.

We don't make or really even influence policy.

What do you mean??

Boris assures me he reads the rants of old blokes on classic car forums and uses the highly intelligent and coherently put arguements to help formulate national policy.

I am really disappointed now.

• Haha 3

I’ve said for some time that the biggest issue with the world is people.  There are just too many of us for our lifestyles to be maintained. 
I would say at least 1/2 need to go. 

Do that and we might have a chance. 
I went to a conference last week and the energy usage is expected to go up massively - electricity in particular.  The uk is fortunate in having a large coast for lots of off shore wind farms - expect lots of them appearing. 

• Like 2

Hi Guys,

The UK emits 371 million tonnes of CO2 per year in 2019, about 1% of the total, putting us in 16th place in the pollution league. China emits 9000 million tonnes and the US almost 5000 million tonnes. If we were to stop all emissions today without the rest of the world making massive improvements the world will still die on the same day. Most of the improvements that we do are irrelevant to the overall picture and only add significant costs to our daily lives. Only when the major polluters come down to our level of emissions does it make sense to introduce further improvements. Restricting cars in city centres to improve the local air quality is a different story. Other than that I am a firm believer in re-cycling and reduction/reuse of waste.

Cheers,

SpitfireGeorge

• Like 4

I came across an article where companies are thinking of mining the sea bed for precious materials for electric batteries for electric cars. These metals basically are lying around on the sea bed and the machines gather them up. The problem is these tracked vehicles stir up the sea bed and destroy the environment and sea creatures. These sea creatures are the bottom of the food chain. You now the rest. However we have environmentally friendly cars.

Progress, as we know electric cars will save the world. Electric Disco 3 towing a horse box with 2 tonnes of horse meat and 1 ton trailer equates to long extension lead.

Graham

7 hours ago, Steve P said:

I`d like someone to explain to me where all the charging infrastructure is supposed to come from ,including power stations,or who`s paying for it.

And as some has already said,how will they replace the billions of £ in taxes paid by motorists?.(rhetorical question of course).

I best attach a microphone to my Vitesse` tail pipe to record it for when it runs on batteries or hydrogen.Might be better weight distribution then.

I thought Labour made up policy on the hoof but jeez.

S

An estimate reported today  is that there will need to be 25 million charging places in place when/if  the petrol and diesel ban comes in.

At present there 11,000.

I think the old infernal internal combustion engine may will be around for a good long while yet , but many running on hydrogen.( produced by electrolysis from electricity generated by.. oh .err ..hang on a minute ..)

8 hours ago, Vanadium23 said:

An estimate reported today  is that there will need to be 25 million charging places in place when/if  the petrol and diesel ban comes in.

At present there 11,000.

Which should make the HS2 financial budget/predictions/overspend/disruption/cost benefit analysis pale into insignificance!

The latest wind turbines are 12MW with 13MW on the horizon. And they also have battery storage on the latest so they can store the excess and release back when there is more demand or low wind for generation.

They are also highly monitored and can be turned down if the telemetrics notice a bearing is starting to fail (for example) so they can plan in a replacement when the replacement is available.

This site is interesting if you are a bit of a geek. www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/index.php 

2 hours ago, Anglefire said:

The latest wind turbines are 12MW with 13MW on the horizon. And they also have battery storage on the latest so they can store the excess and release back when there is more demand or low wind for generation.

They are also highly monitored and can be turned down if the telemetrics notice a bearing is starting to fail (for example) so they can plan in a replacement when the replacement is available.

This site is interesting if you are a bit of a geek. www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/index.php 

As noted on another forum you will only get the 12MW when everything is running 100% in favour. The average output will be in the 100'sKW

So you need more and more MW's to give you more average KW's - they are not very efficient in that respect.

Roger

lots of comments on the discussion points to what I mean, nobody seems to think things through, climate bullies shout we have to change but come up with no ideas except going back to cave dwelling and using our legs. govt just seem to agree to anything as they don't want to be seen to be against climate change and lose votes.note boris trying to pass the buck to chair the climate conference in Glasgow and I don't blame him one minute for that. I live near Glasgow itll be a nightmare.

I do hope the heating will be off at the CC conference, just so they get an idea of what to expect in the future. And only locally produced food/drink served. And they have to walk/cycle everywhere.

Trouble is politicians don't really think long term, they just want to be popular now, and get re-elected. And borrow one such mans terminology, kick the can down the road.

The reality is to do anything meaningful will require a lot of things to change, mainly turn things off. And WE don't want that. The idea of becoming cave dwellers is a bit extreme, but who knows, if we all do nothing it may be all that is left after flooding/food shortages and mass migration which is likely to lead to serious conflict. Worst case, but just where will people go if their countries have no food or even temperatures become unlivable? Sticking hands over our ears or stopping using plastic bags is not going to help. But until things start to get catastrophic nothing is likely to actually happen.

At the last climate change rally, did anyone see the report about the amount plastic and rubbish they left behind !!!! Ton's of the stuff, they are a bunch of tree hugging grass eating moron's with nothing better to do. I like to think i do my bit where i can, and if it will recycle?  I make sure it gets recycled. Lithium ion is one of the most poluting products on the planet.....

Tony.    

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

As noted on another forum you will only get the 12MW when everything is running 100% in favour. The average output will be in the 100'sKW

So you need more and more MW's to give you more average KW's - they are not very efficient in that respect.

Roger

Wind is currently producing 4.4GW of the UK energy requirement (As of now!) the total installed wind base (off and on shore) is 22GW - so about 20% of maximum capacity.

The advantage of the UK is that it will be unlikely (not impossible!) for all the off-shore windfarms to produce no energy at any one time - and being spread around the country does improve the chances.

But I agree its a interesting problem - and probably where battery storage will come into use a lot more. 

its the long rows of terraced houses in many towns full of multiple occupancy , no parking and all the charge cables running over the footpaths 

how is this going to work 

and   how many tons of battery to run trucks at upto 44tons and 300- 500 Hp sounds a good call i see motorways with overhead power lines and trucks with a pantograph 

rather than a aerofoil roof deflector , why not fit a wind generator /ducted fan to get some charge?

and if sprouts are anything to go by eating more veg makes more gas ...maybe we bottle it and use it as fuel .  come on guys 10 miles to go  ....  all trump to fill the tank 

Pete

11 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

its the long rows of terraced houses in many towns full of multiple occupancy , no parking and all the charge cables running over the footpaths 

how is this going to work 

and   how many tons of battery to run trucks at upto 44tons and 300- 500 Hp sounds a good call i see motorways with overhead power lines and trucks with a pantograph 

rather than a aerofoil roof deflector , why not fit a wind generator /ducted fan to get some charge?

and if sprouts are anything to go by eating more veg makes more gas ...maybe we bottle it and use it as fuel .  come on guys 10 miles to go  ....  all trump to fill the tank 

Pete

It's obvious, isn't it Pete?    Dedicated lanes for those powered by overhead lines.   Because they'll be travelling only in that lane, no need to provide a  14ft wide slab of concrete, they can travel down narrow strips, like "rails".   

we have a white elephant busway  dunstable to luton, has car traps and signs but  idiots still get on with a car and either wreck it or manage to clear the car trap and then have to graze and crash the tracksides till they right off the car or get recovered last week a guy got killed  was walking on it till a bus found him , 

so tracks  are not that good   

Beaching didnt help the transport situation we need some of the lost links back now .

at least the suns out , with the storms approaching we should have too much wind this week end 

keep you hat on 

pete

Electricity powered vehicles are like me claiming I don't burn trees in my stove, I just burn wood. 

"My electric car has zero emissions..." and where does the electricity come from? Oh... 

The government's plan to ban petrol or diesel vehicles from 2035 is like someone jumping out of an aeroplane and hoping someone invents a parachute before they hit the ground.

As for the Top Gear Herald... well, maybe they're more prophetic than they thought, as it's now rotten, abandoned, and will never see the road again...

DSCF3207.jpg.08e9021bce6dd0a5af9cc7c5294e6563.jpg