no more petrol or diesel

Ian Faulds

Another major cause of greenhouse gas at the moment is HS2!!! All those diesel machines ripping up trees ect and the diesel lorries carrying away miliions of tons of spoil...... Someone somewhere is making one hell of a lot of money out of this. And destroying the countryside.

Tony. 

15 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

its the long rows of terraced houses in many towns full of multiple occupancy , no parking and all the charge cables running over the footpaths 

how is this going to work 

and   how many tons of battery to run trucks at upto 44tons and 300- 500 Hp sounds a good call i see motorways with overhead power lines and trucks with a pantograph 

rather than a aerofoil roof deflector , why not fit a wind generator /ducted fan to get some charge?

and if sprouts are anything to go by eating more veg makes more gas ...maybe we bottle it and use it as fuel .  come on guys 10 miles to go  ....  all trump to fill the tank 

Pete

They are currently experimenting with induction charging - so when you are at the traffic lights or parked up, you just charge up as if by magic.

12 hours ago, poppyman said:

Another major cause of greenhouse gas at the moment is HS2!!! All those diesel machines ripping up trees ect and the diesel lorries carrying away miliions of tons of spoil...... Someone somewhere is making one hell of a lot of money out of this. And destroying the countryside.

Tony. 

The UK's contribution to the overall Co2 production is tiny, tinier than a tiny small thing. China and the USA on the other hand is massive.

So the contribution HS2 is making is insignificant. Not that I agree with it - I just don't see its benefit.

Part of the logic of HS2 is to help free up what there already is. The West & East coast main lines are quite full leaving little space for the slow moving freight.

The saddest part of HS2 is that it was poorly thought about and the costing simply plucked from the sky.

And then it got worse. The people putting the HS2 case forward lied grossly about the cost in order to get it started. Once started there is usually no going back.

As a comparison - back in the 90's British Airways needed a cargo warehouse. A scheme was costed and put forward to the board. It was accepted at £100, 000,000.

Immediately after the first shovelful of muck was lifted it went up to £400,000,000. It is called lying and fraud yet nobody is held responsible.

My biggest concern with HS2 is the rate that the east coast (the wet bit)  is progressing towards Birmingham.  I would have thought a land recovery scheme would be more beneficial to our small island than an expensive railway.

Roger

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, rogerguzzi said:

Hello All

I thought the point of HS2 was so people who live in the London now can buy cheaper houses in the West Midlands and commute to London were they get paid a lot more!

Of course I could be wrong?

Roger 

Never a truer word said in jest!

They kept saying that businessmen and women wanted to save time - but didn't seem to actually ask them or watch what they actually do on the train - and that is to work so the extra 20minutes gains them nothing, just location.

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

Where is all this electricity coming from, perhaps we will all have petrol generators to charge our "zero emission" electronic vehicles. Our is it just a plan to price the not so well off out of cars to give more room on the roads for the better off.

Regards

Paul

You may not have noticed because they aren't exactly publicising it, but wind farms - especially off shore ones are being built at a heck of a rate. There is something like 22GW of installed capacity now - not that I've seen more than about 1/2 that at any one time - but in theory, that would power 1/2 the country already. And the newer ones also have local battery storage to smooth out the highs and lows of demand verses production.

But its not enough and many environmentalists are concerned that the plan is to install massive over capacity to cover the calmer days. Other solutions need to be found that's for sure. 

The UK is unusual in that we have a lot of heating and cooking done by piped gas - so the change to pure electric is expensive - France for example uses about 2x as much electricity for the same population. And as a result have capacity - ok mostly Nuclear - which is clean until it goes bang and they will have a massive problem when the stations need decommissioning.

Paul can't fail to notice the wind farms in our area, Scrobie Sands off Gt Yarmouth, Gunfleet Sands off Clacton, Galloper off Felixstowe that is the start of the East Anglia ONE which will see £70bn invested in turbines. East Anglia ONE is set to be the largest wind farm in the world!

Nor can you miss the enormous cable trench that has been dug right round the north of Ipswich to connect the landing point of the cables north of Felixstowe to the National Grid feed from Sizewell at Bramford. 

1 hour ago, Anglefire said:

The UK is unusual in that we have a lot of heating and cooking done by piped gas - so the change to pure electric is expensive - France for example uses about 2x as much electricity for the same population. And as a result have capacity - ok mostly Nuclear - which is clean until it goes bang and they will have a massive problem when the stations need decommissioning.

Last weekend the N°1 reactor at Fessenheim was switched off, the other one will switched off later this year. The decommissioning and dismantling process will take years  decades, let alone the storage of the dangerous stuff....

One of the papers earlier in the week was highlighting the dangers of electric cars simply stopping when they break down - no coasting or rolling; furthermore a lot of them cannot be towed so require a low-loader. This is already causing havoc on smart motorways even with the small number of the things about.

On holiday recently one of the other guests was an electro mechanical engineer, he was of the opinion that there isn't enough lithium for all the batteries that would be needed.

He said the way forward was hydrogen for fuel cells but it was some years away as a practical alternative.

I drive down the Acle straight on occasions never seen all the wind turbine turbines running, very cold weather usually has light to no wind and they can't be used in high wind.

Regards

Paul

1 minute ago, 68vitesse said:

On holiday recently one of the other guests was an electro mechanical engineer, he was of the opinion that there isn't enough lithium for all the batteries that would be needed.

He said the way forward was hydrogen for fuel cells but it was some years away as a practical alternative.

Regards

Paul

As long as it's less than 15 years we're ok. Any longer than that... :)

11 hours ago, Chris A said:

Last weekend the N°1 reactor at Fessenheim was switched off, the other one will switched off later this year. The decommissioning and dismantling process will take years  decades, let alone the storage of the dangerous stuff....

Any sign of them turning on Flammanville yet?

The UK has a lot riding on that a time Hinckley Point and Sizewell.

I have my money on the Chinese to win the race at one of the other sites.

23 minutes ago, thescrapman said:

Any sign of them turning on Flammanville yet

By the time Flammanville is finished the radioactive fuel from Fessenheim will be non radioactive.

Delay after delay, the last I heard was there were problems with some welding which will be very expensive to correct and take a long time.

22 hours ago, 68vitesse said:

I drive down the Acle straight on occasions never seen all the wind turbine turbines running, very cold weather usually has light to no wind and they can't be used in high wind.

Regards

Paul

Getting hydrogen out of water by electrolysis is very inefficient - needs lots of electric - one the other way is to strip it out of something like ammonia - and that takes lots of steam.

Neither are efficient. A friend of mine is very green minded says the best efficiency to be expected is about 50% possibly 60-65% - its a lot less than that at the moment.