Stub stacks

Iain T

As I am playing about with the air intake on my Mk2 Vitesse I couldn't resist these stub stacks on the Rimmer website pt no RL1396ALT. By all accounts stub stacks will smooth and increase the airflow into a carburetor and as I don't have the facilities to make a pair I thought I would give them a try. They are £46.50 + vat for the pair.

As to size they are made for SU HS4 carbs but as you can see the i/d is the same as a Stromberg 150  and the mounting holes are only 3mm different in pitch so I am just going to elongate the holes to suit. The two smaller holes are virtually in line so I may leave them or increase diameter by 1mm. I just need to drill new holes for the damper piston and Bob's yer uncle!

They are 100mm o/d, 36.0 i/d and 16mm high, the profile resembles half a teardrop. According to my measurements that should leave about 32mm from the top of the stub to the inside of the airbox. Whether they will make any appreciable difference I don't know but 'every little helps'.

Iain

PS, they don't qualify as 'bling' 'cos you can't see them on the car!

Rimmer stub stack HS4.jpg

hole alignment.jpg

Pete,

I did say I needed to drill holes, ok machine a slot, in them for the damper (air) piston!

I will be using an external trunked air filter and selling the K&N pancakes.

CTM Performance will be doing the head and intake manifold mods, matching etc so I need to get more cold air in but I'm not going for a hairy dragster but as much torque as I can reasonably get. To that end I will probably choose Chris Witor's 3021 camshaft.

Iain

3 hours ago, Iain T said:

To that end I will probably choose Chris Witor's 3021 camshaft.

Iain

I've fitted the CW3021 in the 2.5 litre engine in my GT6. It gives plenty of extra go at the top end without sacrificing low end torque.

In my opinion, it's the best 6 cylinder cam for road use.

Nigel

I am certainly hoping for an increase in get up and go. When I finish the engine mods and put it on a rolling road I might try it with and without the stub stacks to see what the variance is and report back. Problem is I will have to armed with needle options I have 6AC in the carbs now and 7B to try out anybody know of a inbetweeny number?

Pete, I have mohair headlining does that qualify my Mk2 as 'hairy'???

Iain

Yiou might think that somethink as shiny and neat as that must have a beneficial effect.   But I have anold article from that doyen of engine tuners, Dave Walker, (Auntie Flow, CCC June 1994, p.70-72) (Yes I know I'm a hoarder!)

Dave was flow testing his mods to a cylinder head and fitted stub stacks.   On Webers, 1" stacks made no difference at all to the flow, even at WoT!

John

On 13/02/2020 at 19:57, Iain T said:

True, you really need to junk the original filters to correctly fit the stacks. I'm on the hunt for an external filter and how the mount and trunk it to the air box. I'm mindful to protect the filter from getting wet.

Iain

No easy task in a Vitesse engine bay. On my FI setup I have the throttle body on the end of the plenum facing forward and a conical filter on the end of that pointing between the wheel tub (bonnet down) and the radiator. It’s partly boxed to try and keep the heat out. Works well enough when moving (I can monitor the inlet air temp) but at very low speed in traffic it creeps up and up.

Nick

Yes requires some thought how and where to mount (the side valance seems a good option) and the correct sized/flow filter. I've seen what Chris Witor has done with a forward facing cone filter but that is still in the hot air flow from the radiator fan so not ideal. What ever position the filter is mounted it must not get wet so it's going to be a compromise.

Iain

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got round to modifying the stubs, I may just countersink the small holes to fully align with the carbs. I machined out the back of the stub instead of a slot in the face so as not to disturb the airflow.

Iain

IMG_20200303_143453_1_resized_20200303_051151408.jpg

IMG_20200303_143511_resized_20200303_051151585.jpg