To stay original or sensibly 'modernise'?

soundrediscovery

1963 Vitesse 6 1600

Mechanically and cosmetically sound but electrics and dashboard need tidying.

Do I go for modern seats and upgrade fuelling, alternator etc? Or keep standard? 

I was not expecting this to be quite so original when I purchased this time last year and I had anticipated that the mechanics might be needing more attention than a good service.

Part of me is tempted to go for something that has already been partially modified instead so that I don't ruin a good original example.

I might consider a part exchange/swap if anybody has the reverse dilemma.

IMAG0844_zpsxttrdnrk.jpg

• Like 1

My 1600was quite well upgraded with still triumph spec to make her give mosts things a good run for their money

but I would consider a mk1 manifold and stromberg 150s this raises the 70 bhp to 82and is as triumph did in later modelsmof the 1600,

Change the weedy type 12 calipers for type 16 for better foundation braking

she will still pull well with a 3.89 diff

or add a 4 synchro gearbox and realy an overdrive

pete

I vote for upgrade! I had a windscreen go early on in my ownership, it cracked from top to bottom, scary, not like a modern screen. If I bought an old one the screen would be the first thing to come under scrutiny. Inertial reel seat belts, what's not to like? Alternator, electronic ignition, better shockers, polybushes, YES! What would Triumph be doing if they were still making them?

If the car is very original and tidy, but needs some bits sorting, there is no real reason to use modern alternatives. Remember it is your car. So if you intend to go touring teh continent and drive a few thousand miles in a week (a lot of Triumph owners do!) then you may want to consider more supportive seats. There is also the problem with many reproduction parts, so again no issues with fitting electronic ignition, and polybushes if the originals need replacing. Fuelling, nothing wrong with subtle upgrades, or even full EFI if that is your thing. None of these things will really devalue the car, as they can all be reversed easily.

Chopping the car about and dropping a zetec in is a bit more contentious, but if that is what you want from the car, do it or swap the car for one that is maybe more suitable to become a monster (I say this from experience, my zetec spit is on the road now!)

I vote for upgrade! I had a windscreen go early on in my ownership, it cracked from top to bottom, scary, not like a modern screen. If I bought an old one the screen would be the first thing to come under scrutiny. Inertial reel seat belts, what's not to like? Alternator, electronic ignition, better shockers, polybushes, YES! What would Triumph be doing if they were still making them?

They wouldn’t be making a 1960s car in 2015, so it’s a moot point. I don’t mind upgraded lights, alternator, polybushes or electronic ignition - and yes even modern windscreen glass - but I do bite my lip when faced with a type 9 gearbox / Subaru diff / Mazda engine / Rover seated offering that the owner claims is better than original. Sometimes it would be more original to put a Triumph bonnet on a modern and call it a Triumph… :)

It’s the owner’s prerogative, but similarly if I don’t want to, I don’t like being called dangerous, unreliable and Luddite.. and that’s just ME…. so it’s up to personal choice.

It's personal choice. I'm in the period modifications and originality camp and like to keep mine original where possible. I would also suggest if you take it off you keep it with the car for reversal in the future. It's yours so have fun......wasn't it lurking on eBay for a while?

I drive a Mk1 Vitesse 2l with laminated windscreen, servo, electronic ignition, alternater, j type overdrive and a few other updated bits. I bought the car because of what it is not what I could maske of it. The drive train, trim etc are all standard and I do about three thousand miles a year driving the year round.

But your car is yours for you to do as you like, I might not like what you or others do but it is not my car.

Regards

Paul

"They wouldn’t be making a 1960s car in 2015,so it’s a moot point"

My point was it would be updated, as the Volkswagen  Beetle has been?

Yes, I know what you mean... but a modern car would be full of modern refinements and not using 1960s technology or parts; which I feel are part of the attraction. That’s why I love them…. real pumping valves and diaphragms in a fuel pump, not just electronics. Solid-state electronics spoiled the fun of working parts; almost like clockwork toys vs battery-power. And, in particular - no sensors in an original Triumph - hooray!! (Bane of my life... O2 sensors, ‘intelligent’ suspension sensors, brake sensors… hate ‘em!)

Yes, I'm with you, I draw the line at that 123 ignition stuff, a computer? In a Triumph?!! But if Triumph were still making cars, I'd have one, wouldn't you? I quite like those Audi TTs, hatch back, ridiculous rear seat, if only there were a straight six version, what does it remind me of?