1966 Spitfire Mk2 Sports Exhaust & Carb Settings?

KevinB

Hi,

So my next naive question is about the carburetor settings when you have a sports exhaust fitted to a  Mk2 1966 Spitfire? My new restored Spitfire has a brand new stainless steel twin sports exhaust fitted.  

Now we're trying to tune the engine to get it to run a bit smoother, I noticed, by accident, in the Rimmers Parts book for the Spitfire that it says that if you have a sports exhaust fitted to will need to tune the carburetor accordingly and possibly fit new needles. I was wondering if anyone had fitted a sports exhaust and then made any carb adjustments? 

Any advice most welcome

Cheers, Kevin    

Make certain the engine is in good health, checking valve clearances, points gap and ignition timing (preferably with a strobe).

Take the float chamber tops off and check the float height settings and condition of the needle valves.

After that, you're ready to tune the carbs. Just fitting a sports exhaust shouldn't need a change of needles. Adjust the carbs as per the methods in the workshop manual or Haynes book and all should be well.

Nigel