Seams

Tanky

Hi all knowing TSSC members.

I started digging around the seams and had to dig out a ton of filler. Has anyone any idea how I fix the rust and re-seal them? I'm thinking Krust treatment and after that I'm lost! Iv'e dug out as much as I can with a Stanley Knife and wire brushed the seams as far as I can........

Many thanks in anticipation of setting the forum on fire with this one!

Charlie

20200217_090100.jpg

20200217_090053.jpg

Get hold of a black Scotchbrite disc for your electric drill. It's a lot more effective against rust than a wire brush. You'll still struggle to get properly deep in there - the seam is designed to be a horrible rust trap and there's not muh you can do about that - but you'll be closer.

I had new front wings and a re-spray about 20 years ago. Last year a 6" length of painted filler fell out one seam, nothing lasts! :angry: However, shiny metal underneath, my "bodge it and run" alter ego say fill and touch up. :ph34r:  My "proper job" ego say "It'll all have to be done, both sides. You could get the dents and cracks in the bonnet fixed at the same time and a re-spray"

BIAR wins, for the moment.

Doug

32 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Last year a 6" length of painted filler fell out one seam, nothing lasts! :angry:

Yes, the bane of my MK3 GT6 too - filler was always falling out. A good sprayer / bodyshop will have the professional solution in terms of flexible sealer - the car equivalent of 'Painters Mate' or whatever.

For that seam, a good wire brush on a drill - one of the flat circular ones with long bristles - will get as far in as possible, then treat well with a good rust killer. Jenolite / Kurust will be as good as can be.

I wonder if a Dremel thin steel cutting wheel run along the seam with virtual no pressure hence not cutting will clean the joint up a little, alternatively their fan style disc wire brush (3/4in dia) but watch out for the wires coming out they do stick in you!

Pity we didn't have weld thro seam sealant when our cars were built.

Peter T

3 hours ago, Tanky said:

Hi again Pete. Thanks. I'm guessing PU means polyurethane? Is there a particular brand or kind I should use?

Thanks

Charlie 

Tioger seal is a common one, but there are many makes. Sikkaflex is teh original, but there are about 100 sikoflex sealants so getting the correct one is tricky.

With 2K paint I have used Toolstation PU40, and all is well. The club used to sell "heavy drip" sealant which is the original stuff, hard stuff to find!

On 18/02/2020 at 19:06, thescrapman said:

Well that's that problem solved, new wing and you can be sure the join I say clean

Not cheap though, at £250+ per side?. I`ve yet to tackle mine, and not looking forward to it!. Even Arch repair panels are £40, a throw!. Hopefully the inner wings will "rescue".!

Pete