intermittent VW Eos battery drain mystery (solved)

Unkel Kunkel

Do you like  a mystery? 

Here is a tale of a problem that frustrated me for some months.

Something was completely flattening  the battery overnight,  but only intermittently about every 2 -3 months.Between times it was absolutely fine and could be parked for a week and start instantly.It started to get more frequent.

Checked all the usual sources of current drain.Nothing. Did a check to see if draining current - normal limits after the car locked and all systems shut down.So something was happening but only now and again.For most of the time it was absolutely fine.

OBD11  code reader - nothing showed up.

Would there be a point taking it to an auto electrical place? - but it might be there for a fortnight or even a month and be absolutely fine.

So I continued to try without  out a fuse for things like radio, locking etc.No progress.

One summer night I drove home, locked the car and as I walked to the house I thought I could hear a   very very slight whine from the car.(It was barely audible so I knew I hadn’t locked mother in law in the car..).Odd -never noticed  that before.

I came back an hour later and it was still seemed to be doing it - or was  I imagining it?

I called my missus over.She couldn't hear it , sighed and went in doors, leaving me crawling around the locked car trying to locate where it was coming from.

Weirdly, it didn’t seem to be coming from under the bonnet.

But that night .. the mystery was finally solved.Can you guess what was happening ?

To be continued-   2200 hrs tomorrow.

The radiator fan on my 306 used to run for 2 or 3 minutes after the ignition was switched off, but it was supposed to. Except that time I found it still running hours later, I had to disconnect fuses to stop it.  306s were nice cars, but always wiring problems! Still the radiator fan was pretty noisy so I doubt that's Van's problem.

Doug 

30 minutes ago, Simons3 said:

Radio/changer not sleeping?

That's a possible; some of them lose the ability to talk to the CANbus and take an age to shut down, if ever they do. Happens a lot with replacement radios. (I gave up trying to fit an aftermarket unit to a Ford recently, too many connections)

Another common problem is the ignition switch failing to turn everything off, so something like the heater blower fan will continue to turn very gently - hence the slight whining - and so flatten the battery.

Is that a tyre pressure monitor on the valve?

I note that's also where the filler cap is. Back when I first started at Rover, the then-new 214 models used to make a weird mooing noise (just very quiet but you could hear it out in the country) for a while after being driven. That was the fuel tank breather valve opening to stabilise pressure. It didn't happen on later models as the evaporative loss control system ("purge canister") meant the offending valve got deleted.

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

Is that a tyre pressure monitor on the valve?

I note that's also where the filler cap is. Back when I first started at Rover, the then-new 214 models used to make a weird mooing noise (just very quiet but you could hear it out in the country) for a while after being driven. That was the fuel tank breather valve opening to stabilise pressure. It didn't happen on later models as the evaporative loss control system ("purge canister") meant the offending valve got deleted.

Yes, there  is a TyrePal monitor .... but it’s not that.

Yes, there is a fuel filler flap with solenoid  release ....but it’s not that - or the tank breather.

Sorry a bit late !

Firstly, Nick - you got the closest!

That  odd sound was coming from the plastic fuel tank!

It wasn’t that full , so maybe it was a bit more resonant.

These cars have a fuel pump in the tank.

Although the ignition  was off and the car double locked - It had not switched off and was vigorously pumping away and steadily flattening the  battery.

Not some old fashioned on/off thing like wot God intended,  but a pump whose  output depends on the frequency of repeatedly  switching on and  a square wave current influenced by the engine demands etc.

The tank is under  the floor, under the rear seat 

Removing the rear seat I found this

a ” Fuel  pump control Module “ -and it felt very, very warm.

Now 3 hours on, the battery was flat.

I replaced the black box.

All solved.
It had  kept me awake at nights.

That was nearly three years ago.

Absolutely  fine since...so far.

My missus mused -“Why do you think the car had a brand  new battery when we bought it? Do you think they knew there  was a problem?”

She is probably right - of course.

- I kept my thoughts to myself - what would have happened if we had been involved in a crash and the pump had continued to merrily pump petrol over us...

9B28B9ED-BC7B-4CF4-A540-02C032C62033.jpeg

There should (well there will be) an inertia trip switch on the pump circuit- but whether it is a hardwired or software trip would only be clear from giving the wiring diagrams a good coat of looking at.  Unfortunately these days they seem to be designed to be unreadable 😂

2 minutes ago, Anglefire said:

There should (well there will be) an inertia trip switch on the pump circuit- but whether it is a hardwired or software trip would only be clear from giving the wiring diagrams a good coat of looking at.  Unfortunately these days they seem to be designed to be unreadable 😂

That’s reassuring.

I have now got to sort out the   missus’s  C  Max’s  “ smart charging “ problems - which aren’t.