Brown guey/sticky stuff between carbs and Manifold

daverclasper

Hi. Noticed this a few weeks ago, as the Thicker gaskets looked wet around the lower areas. This substance had collected at the low point of the carb/manifold joint (Stroms, 150 CD).

Looks like it may have appeared after I filled up with diesel by mistake a bit back.

Can't imagine what it is. Could diesel soaked into the gaskets and dissolved them some.

Car appears to run as normal.

Cheers, Dave     

The gaskets are paper so shouldn't dissolve; if it's black it could either be oil or soot - how do the plugs look?

I'd worry more about the fuel lines and the rubber hoses; check to see if they're okay. It's got to be something that has been drawn into the carb so hasn't yet reached the engine, but it may just be deposits from dirty fuel that are not burning off - you may be right with the diesel idea.

Thanks Colin. Its the dark coloured gasket/spacer? thing (never removed them, so not sure what there made of (on each carb) between the paper/card ones, about 3mm/4mm thick from memory. I assumed they were a standard fitting?.

Hoses were the supposedly good ones (barracade?), can't quite remember from Moss, fitted a few months back, but will have a look to see if they appear to be disintegrating

Plugs are running clean.

Edited by daverclasper

Could the PO have used Wellseal or similar . I used Wellseal on the fuel bowl gaskets as the fuel bowl wasn’t flat and prior to sealant they leaked . The Wellseal has reacted to the petrol contact and looks dark brown and tacky though dry to the touch . 
Just a thought 

Paul