Courier leaf spring wanted!

jiggawhat2k

• 4 weeks later...
7 minutes ago, jiggawhat2k said:

Thanks @yorkshire_spam, got a quote from Owen Springs after a recommendation from here. They can make one, well, they can make a herald spring with courier specs which is basically the same. They seem to have shut down though, not had replies on my last email. 

Wierd, they have a "Coronovirus but we are still open" statement on their webpage.

• 1 year later...
On 04/04/2020 at 19:38, jiggawhat2k said:

O nice, OK I'll go back again and see if I can get a reply! The spring was about £200 so about right for a custom spring I'd say (might be wrong, maybe I'm a sucker!). Cheers 

Apologies for bumping this, but I'm interested in uprating the rear suspension to match some stiffer rate springs on the front (with more power and an LSD). Did you end up going through with this?

I'm particularly keen to know if the stiffer spring specs you had raised the rise height at all, as I'm currently on a 1" block and the original leaf spring, but the rear sits slightly higher than the front.

19 hours ago, Weathersbubble said:

Apologies for bumping this, but I'm interested in uprating the rear suspension to match some stiffer rate springs on the front (with more power and an LSD). Did you end up going through with this?

I'm particularly keen to know if the stiffer spring specs you had raised the rise height at all, as I'm currently on a 1" block and the original leaf spring, but the rear sits slightly higher than the front.

I ran a herald estate,  used for autotesting/solos as well as 12 car "plot and bash" rallies. And everyday car...

That ended up with 440lb front springs at std ride height, and a Bill Davies courier spring with 1"lowering block. No front ARB as that gave too much understeer.

Ride height was pretty level, once the rear spring was settled. Handling was very good, on koni shocks. 

An estate spring is quite stiff, but a bit higher.

Beware new springs, the specs are not always as original. And giving a company your own spec is very difficult, I keep thinking about ride height and spring strength on my spit, and getting Owen springs to make me one. But too easy to get it wrong. 

• Thanks 1

Cheers all, seems like a stiffer rear spring of some form is the way to go, will have to put some thought into how to lower the rear to the right height.

Already on adjustable dampers all round so should perform fairly well afterwards. I was planning on sticking with the front ARB & 330lb springs but will do some high speed roundabout testing for the turn in :) & go from there.