Non essential deliveries

Paul H

I have a friend who works for one of the main delivery companies , the chat is that the gov Is considering banning non essential deliveries. If you are looking for bits to complete your Triumph project suggest not hanging around . 

I could argue that Triumph spares are good for my mental health so essential , not sure if this will work 🤔

Paul 

I got an email from an online model railway shop saying they're expecting a "government enforced despatch operation shutdown". My other half doesn't believe that and thinks the shop must have got it wrong. I think the government are engineering this crisis into something much bigger for reasons that nobody would approve of if they knew. But perhaps I'm just being spooked by how many echos I keep seeing as I've been reading "How Democracies Die".

55 minutes ago, NonMember said:

I got an email from an online model railway shop saying they're expecting a "government enforced despatch operation shutdown". 

I just got a quote for £30 carriage on a £37 order from Newton Commercial. THAT stopped the delivery in a way that the Government never will.

10 hours ago, dougbgt6 said:

I know! My energy company want me to go and read my meters, they're OUTSIDE!!!!  :o

Doug

Can't you put a mirror on a long stick? :)

I haven't read 'How Democracies Die' but I'm concerned by how many people are trying to make it all political; we had some idiot on last night talking about the 'Draconian measures of the British State.' Feel free to go outside and congregate, mate...

Isn't it funny... a few months ago the highest priority was the free, unobstructed movement of members of the EU... 

21 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

how many people are trying to make it all political; we had some idiot on last night talking about the 'Draconian measures of the British State.'

Possibly would not have come to this, yet, if the the great unthinking public had followed the existing advice.  The 'crowd' scenes at the weekend beggar belief in a society at threat.  Rather than trite newspaper headlines ('House Arrest') perhaps a naming/shaming approach in public and social media is required; 'are you this ......?'.

Woke up in the night, looked out the window, "That's odd, where's the neighbour's cars?". Got up this morning, went outside to read the meters and I can see their second car is parked right down the drive blocking access to the side door. This is their "We're away for a while" dead give away. They've done a runner! 

Doug

25 minutes ago, Dick Twitchen said:

Possibly would not have come to this, yet, if the the great unthinking public had followed the existing advice.  The 'crowd' scenes at the weekend beggar belief in a society at threat.  Rather than trite newspaper headlines ('House Arrest') perhaps a naming/shaming approach in public and social media is required; 'are you this ......?'.

Exactly the same here in France. The gouvernment asked nicely, lots of people said OK, will do it but of course some didn't  - hence fines if you don't do as told.

When the the otiginal 'request' to restrict movements were announced I say a tv report from Paris were they spoke to 2 or 3 young folk i.e. less than 40 who all said the same thing. It was a good move to combat the virus but they wouldn't respect it. 

29 minutes ago, Dick Twitchen said:

Imagine the scenario.

You and missus wake up one morning expecting the same grey skies and damp streets.  But lo, it is sunny.

Come on luv lets pop down to the coast for some fresh air - we are allowed one exercise walk per day.

You turn up at West Wittering or Brighton and so have 10,000 like minded upright citizens.  Murphy's law.

Simply stay at home and enjoy the garden.

Roger

1 hour ago, dougbgt6 said:

Woke up in the night, looked out the window, "That's odd, where's the neighbour's cars?". Got up this morning, went outside to read the meters and I can see their second car is parked right down the drive blocking access to the side door. This is their "We're away for a while" dead give away. They've done a runner! 

Doug

Apparently all the second homes around here are occupied with their owners decamping from the cities.

Regards

Paul

28 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

No.2 daughter just put my meds, collected from the chemist, on my door step. She tells me, from the bottom of the drive, Waitrose are letting in one customer at a time, one in one out! 

Doug

Went down to our Waitrose at Thatcham at 08.00 for the over 70's and vulnerable slot. They were only allowing a max of 34 people to be in the store at any one time, it was very well controlled . All the trolley handles were wiped before reuse. all well managed. You were getting over 70's walking up to the front of the queue and saying "I am over 70 so I should go in first" To which the manager, who was supervising things, said "So are all these people" and the rest of the queue said "So are we please go to the back of the queue.

Dave   

9 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Tony, Clive, 

As I said to Colin yesterday, it's OK to take a drive out, as long as you don't break down. But that's not going to happen in a Triumph, is it?!!  :blink:

Doug

That happened two weeks ago Doug when i found a chinese condensor in my Dollies distributor. now rectified.

Tony.

25 minutes ago, clive said:

Only essential journeys... so no, no driving for pleasure☹️

But I may take the spit when I go shopping!

I understand that Clive, but is he talking about walking, cycling public or transport. Surely people cant pass this bug going out in sealed capsule? Don't get me wrong i'm staying put....

Tony.