Stuck inside

Mathew

54 minutes ago, Casper said:

For our younger readers: valve car radios also used a trembler to generate the voltages needed for the valves.

I should have on squirrelled away somewhere.

C.

That`s Interesting?. I had an American Halicrafter valve radio. Which I carried on the old D-C Ships. And which ran Off D-C 110-115 voltage. It had some sort of early day "inverter" to provide the High Voltage for Thermionic Valves.

On that subject this was an intersting read:- https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=52264

Pete

13 minutes ago, Casper said:

Crystal sets were my thing

me too,   going to sleep listening to the |Goon show kept the ears flat in the morning  

then progressed to a one valve  with a speaker !!   where the oscillation could upset  the TV picture

from downstairs  came the bellow  Turn that Bl**dy thing off    Ha 

Pete

5 hours ago, NonMember said:

Can we please desist from perpetuating the Daily Fail's utterly offensive vendetta on this forum?

It used to be the Word of God that was taken as Gospel, and only the Pope was infallible. You were likely to be tortured, burned or excommunicated for disbelieving either. Thankfully we're more enlightened nowadays. Aren't we?

18 hours ago, NonMember said:

Can we please desist from perpetuating the Daily Fail's utterly offensive vendetta on this forum?

I didn't know there was a vendetta on this forum???

Did they take offence at the mindless drivel we spout?

Gald I don't read the Daily Mail, I too might be offended.

Stanley Mathews, Very famous dribbler. Piers Morgan also very famous, for one or the other. As for Megane, Mine was Scenic.? (how many more pun`s can I get in?)😀 c`mon, help me out here!.

Pete

On 09/03/2021 at 09:24, Pete Lewis said:

me too,   going to sleep listening to the |Goon show kept the ears flat in the morning  

then progressed to a one valve  with a speaker !!   where the oscillation could upset  the TV picture

from downstairs  came the bellow  Turn that Bl**dy thing off    Ha 

Pete

(Many) years ago, I had a Pye “Westminster” A.M.two way radio installed in my car for my work.

Two quite bulky  boxes, one in the boot  connected by  a bulky bit of wiring  to a smaller unit under the dash ( on/off m volume and a button marked  “Squelch’  )  and outside,  a longish aerial)

It had a strange quirk.

In the summer, but only if the weather was particularly warm, there were occasions  when  there would be a sudden out- pouring  of  strident martial music,  followed by  short forceful proclamation in a foreign language, then silence.The blast would be high volume and last about 15 seconds.

This was extremely  startling , especially whilst  driving.The first time it happened I  narrowly avoided running into the back  a stationery car at a road junction.

No one ever fully explained these explosive episodes, or how they  reached us in the middle of the Irish Sea, though they were identified as  coming from Radio Bulgaria.

7 hours ago, Unkel Kunkel said:

No one ever fully explained these explosive episodes, or how they  reached us in the middle of the Irish Sea, though they were identified as  coming from Radio Bulgaria.

Usually a result of a combination of a specific frequency and weather conditions that allows for for refraction of the signal from the ionosphere causing skywave propagation.  Ground wave propagation allows the signal to 'bend' and follow the surface, thus giving us beyond line of sight range.  Tend to get it more at sea and my own personal 'spooky' experience was sitting on patrol in the Gulf and over the Bridge VHF we heard 'Southampton VTS' (the Vessel Traffic control in The Solent) as clear a bell for several minutes.  Then back to the routine stuff.

Dick

Those who remember the "illegal" 27mhz C-B radio days, may have experienced the "conversations" which took place when conditions where right with C-B users In parts of the world they where never suposed to reach!. My youngest son was conversing with someone the USA on one ocasion. There was also what I think is known as Co Channel inferferance, where the police etc; would suddenly apear!.

Pete

35 minutes ago, Dick Twitchen said:

Usually a result of a combination of a specific frequency and weather conditions that allows for for refraction of the signal from the ionosphere causing skywave propagation.  Ground wave propagation allows the signal to 'bend' and follow the surface, thus giving us beyond line of sight range.  Tend to get it more at sea and my own personal 'spooky' experience was sitting on patrol in the Gulf and over the Bridge VHF we heard 'Southampton VTS' (the Vessel Traffic control in The Solent) as clear a bell for several minutes.  Then back to the routine stuff.

Dick

Thanks Dick, that’s interesting.

On the same theme, I was on holiday  in the Lake district in my car, parked at the side of Windermere.Can’t think why the set was on but I was surprised to  hear hear a paramedic ( though they weren’t called that then )who I knew well ( it was on their frequency) I identified myself and  two others came  on taking turns to chat. I agreed to requests   to bring back Kendal Mint cake !

Summer and travel over water again,  as you  explain.

21 minutes ago, Unkel Kunkel said:

Kendal Mint cake !

Ahhhh! Memories. We had a whole Scout Troop, on camp near Windermere The older one`s where doing Sail training for Q-S. They bought the whole stock from one of the shops`s.🤣

Pete

Kendal Mint Cake, oh yes. Reminds me of my walking days. Always carried some with me. I don't know why, couldn't stand the stuff. Too sweet for me. Usually found it at the bottom of my rucksack looking like some evil crystalline entity and then threw it to the ducks, then went and bought some more...madness.