Stuck inside

Mathew

Got it in one!! I realised I had some more photos of the same car, took ages to find them but yes there's an automatic gear lever. I can find nothing else about the car, not even where the photos came from, but I think it was for sale online a month or so ago. I don't remember any particular reference to it being automatic or I'd have noted that in a Herald, but one of the photos shows what looks like a hand-control near the steering wheel. Must go off for a search and see if I can find out more.

unspecified-2.thumb.jpeg.d40a56d0a2be3b62815ddf224ff13120.jpeg

unspecified-3.thumb.jpeg.c3a9f65862a5364eb7a422699d1ade30.jpeg

Just found a few more details; it was sold through Gumtree in the Bournemouth area, but the ad has been deleted after the sale. This photo still comes up in Bing searches, but all links are gone.

1918834537__86.thumb.JPG.dc6501a6fb37da23c1f7f1457cd7c9d2.JPG

Interestingly this other Herald has appeared on Gumtree; now £23000... quite a jump from the last sale.

https://www.gumtree.com/p/other-cars/1970-triumph-herald-13-60-convertible-petrol-manual/1409421487

https://www.tennants.co.uk/discover/news-insights/last-of-the-summer-wine-triumph-herald-sells-for-16-500/

There WAS an article in a Courier back in the 80`s, around the time we sold the Vitesse. Where someone had grafted a 2000 auto box into a vitesse?. Had I seen it before I sold, I might well have done the same as "managment" loved that car, but lost the ability to use a clutch after surgery. Looking at the Photo`s the Selector could be Triumph?, but on a 4 pot engine??. The only one I can think of of that vintage is the Ford 1300 (Crossflow) which they put auto boxes on for the Escourt?. But that is not a Ford Shift. Any More sugesions?.

Pete

1 hour ago, PeteH said:

There WAS an article in a Courier back in the 80`s, around the time we sold the Vitesse. Where someone had grafted a 2000 auto box into a vitesse?. Had I seen it before I sold, I might well have done the same as "managment" loved that car, but lost the ability to use a clutch after surgery. Looking at the Photo`s the Selector could be Triumph?, but on a 4 pot engine??. The only one I can think of of that vintage is the Ford 1300 (Crossflow) which they put auto boxes on for the Escourt?. But that is not a Ford Shift. Any More sugesions?.

Pete

Probably sourced from a 1500 Dolomite.

the borg warner  35 was used as an auto by just about every uk manufacturer of the day

for a standard transmission ie  engine gearbox propshaft configuration 

and included vans like the Commer PB 1 ton used the 35 till the 65 was developed 

the  35 was the uk's universal auto box built in Baldock herts 

Pete

10 hours ago, thescrapman said:

Probably sourced from a 1500 Dolomite.

Back in the early 1990s I found a yellow Dolomite (although remember it, probably incorrectly, as a 1300?) parked at the side of premises in County Fermanagh, the engine had gone on fire and the engine bay / bonnet was badly damaged but it had an automatic gearbox. I remember discussing at the time how to fit one into either a Spitfire or Herald, just for the novelty factor, but deciding that it was too much work.

Not quite an automatic.

One of ours at East Berks is permanently on wheels and has converted his Vitesse to hand controls. Accelerator and brake are straightforward, (apparently :blink:) but clutch is a bit more complicated. He relocated the battery to the boot and in the original battery compartment installed a circuit board with electronics and relays controlling solenoids to work the clutch. The clever thing is all the hand controls are in parallel with the original equipment so anyone can drive the car. I must ask him how this affects the MOT, do they test his modifications or do they just stick to the original controls? 

Doug

• 2 months later...

Thought i would bring this up front again as i am sort of stuck inside. Having a relaxed sort out to build my self up again! I come across this in a bag of bits that came with the gt6, i have no idea or clue what they are. Have put the other item in the picture so you can guage the size.

16341139397175558845221041519092.thumb.jpg.de0d007b94720024a9bee0c547572067.jpg

1634113712510547587650548112588.thumb.jpg.2c6a26701ead3f8fe6eb73ba257f5019.jpg

16341139611007124106163047177066.thumb.jpg.a6de969a56c8796e106411a415bd3398.jpg

There are four of them!

On 01/08/2021 at 11:16, dougbgt6 said:

Not quite an automatic.

One of ours at East Berks is permanently on wheels and has converted his Vitesse to hand controls. Accelerator and brake are straightforward, (apparently :blink:) but clutch is a bit more complicated. He relocated the battery to the boot and in the original battery compartment installed a circuit board with electronics and relays controlling solenoids to work the clutch. The clever thing is all the hand controls are in parallel with the original equipment so anyone can drive the car. I must ask him how this affects the MOT, do they test his modifications or do they just stick to the original controls? 

Doug

Missed this earlier, About 10, maybe 15? years ago now, there was a company somewhere near Carlisle?. Who marketed the "auto-clutch". We tested one fitted to a Transit Van (as a test rig) the clutch was operated by a button of the top of the gear lever. Our interest was for conversion of a Ducato Motorhome. In the end I bought one with an auto box. but it was an interesting concept.

Pete

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

Normally they are black and a bit thinner

I think we may be miscommunicating. There is a thin rubber ring between the chrome bezel and the dashboard, which you fit as you're installing the gauge. Those are, as you say, thinner. However, if you actually dismantle the gauge there's supposed to be a rubber ring between the chrome bezel and the glass, to prevent it chipping the glass when the tabs are bent over. Those need to be as deep as the bezel.

33 minutes ago, NonMember said:

I think we may be miscommunicating. There is a thin rubber ring between the chrome bezel and the dashboard, which you fit as you're installing the gauge. Those are, as you say, thinner. However, if you actually dismantle the gauge there's supposed to be a rubber ring between the chrome bezel and the glass, to prevent it chipping the glass when the tabs are bent over. Those need to be as deep as the bezel.

You could be right, take a look at these photos 

20211013_124437.thumb.jpg.38149ae57064e77085758321c03d579f.jpg

20211013_124445.thumb.jpg.165842950668b2a395d0681a46c68575.jpg