Delco dissy on TR7

DollyMike

I'm quite new to the TSSC and have an 1850 Dolomite. I quite fancy a TR7 as a cheap way of getting an interesting car.

This afternoon I've been working on the Delco distributor on my Dolomite and its a pig. It's virtually impossible to change the points with the unit in the car because of the terrible upside-down design of the weights, and getting to the two bolts that hold the distributor down is really, really difficult. You can't see the rear one and just getting your fingers on it involves triple jointed wrists.

And yet, looking at photos of the TR7 engine it seems even more tricky as there is a tray over the top of the distributor. How do owners cope?

Mike

2 hours ago, DollyMike said:

And yet, looking at photos of the TR7 engine it seems even more tricky as there is a tray over the top of the distributor. How do owners cope?

Mike

I think that's the reason I haven't progressed any further on mine. I had a lot of the engine out, and while I had access replaced the points with an Accuspark module, but now that most of the engine is back on I'm wondering how on earth I'll set the timing. It's way in behind the carbs and all I can see are the two wires, and I only managed to get at it while the manifold was off. The engine hasn't been started since it was stripped down, so  a lot of things to fine tune once it's restarted, timing being one of them. I keep putting it off...

DSCF6128.jpg.a34e369848bdf3b4405e0d23b3a031a5.jpg

2 hours ago, poppyman said:

Fitting the points is the easy bit on a Dolly, it's the condensor thats a pig. I have put an external condensor on my 1850, job sorted. You can turn the engine by hand to get at the points screws.

Tony.

How do you turn the engine on the Dolomite 1850? There isn't room to put the large socket on the front pulley. I can only do it by jacking up a rear wheel and inching the wheel round with the car in third gear. This involves continually hopping up and down to see if the timing marks are in line yet.

Two ways Mike, easiest put it gear 4th and just push backwards or forwards.... No need to jack up. Mine being an auto i put a spanner on the alternator pulley with the plugs out.... Point's in, condensor mounted by the coil and new plugs fitted in less than an hour and i have really bad spinal problems. Dont forget to remove rotor as well :) 

Tony.  

20 minutes ago, Don Cook said:

I fitted electronic ignition and the tacho wouldn't work, happens on early models apparently.

The tac fed is from points to the coil wiring through the loom. If you bypass/remove this with a direct feed to the electronic box the tac will not work. You have to leave the coil end of the original wiring connected.

Dave