vitesse fuel pump

vinda saax

My Vitesse has a 2.5 litre saloon engine fitted (in 1972)I dont get a lot of time to drive it but when i do there is never any fuel in the glass bowl reservoir so i have to disconnect the fuel line and suck the fuel through which always results in me getting a mouthful ! thus creating a reluctance to drive what is a lovely fun car.Any ideas as to what I can do to avoid another mouthful?

Vinda

Welcome to the Forum, your Fuel pump should have a Priming Lever at the bottom, if you operate it up and down for a few seconds until you see fuel appearing in the Glass chamber the car should then start after a couple of turns on the starter?

I used to have to do this with my Vitesse if I left if for any length of time, as the Fuel would drain back or evaporate, never did know which?

Regards

Gary

As Gary says, there's a manual prime lever. No need to disconnect anything. Even without that, a battery conditioner should leave you always with enough charge to crank it for the twenty or thirty seconds it needs to prime on the starter. That approach also helps feed some oil round before the bearings see any stress.

you may not have  have a  priming lever ???? then an electric  low psi pump would solve the lack of whatever  the  reason

if you do have a hand prime then the engine may need a short turn to get the pump off the cam or the lever will do very little as the pump diaphragm is held in its down position. 

pete

If you decide to go down the electric fuel pump route I’ve fitted a Huco and it works well , you get the comforting tic tic tic when the ignition is switched on , I can post the installation instructions if you want

Paul 

1 hour ago, vinda saax said:

My Vitesse has a 2.5 litre saloon engine fitted (in 1972)I dont get a lot of time to drive it but when i do there is never any fuel in the glass bowl reservoir

Is there any smell of petrol? My Delco (with the glass bowl) has started to leak; the rubber seal appears to have perished and if you look at the body of the pump there's always wet fuel seeping out. After a few days the bowl is empty, but it's not leaking fast enough to make me spot a leak straight away. I'm trying to source new seals at present, so will update in case anyone else needs any.

Vinda,

I have drain back on mine as well, a couple of days and it's OK, but a week and it's noticeable. A month and it takes 30 seconds of churning unless I use the self primer. There's no damage done in 30 second's churning, the oil will come up just as quickly as if it started straight away. All you need is a charged battery, you might like to think about a trickle charger. Alternatively you may try a refurb kit, the pump is not supposed to drain back, but I've not had great success with them.

Doug

do make sure the short hose to the top of the tank/reserve lever  pipe is secure they are often unseen . go hard and suck air .

poor choke operation will also stop a cold start , check on strombergs the disc holes are  clear  , if it has a later carb with a winter /summer choke stop that its set to winter

and on SU you really do drop the jet fully .

pete

37 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Alternatively you may try a refurb kit, the pump is not supposed to drain back, but I've not had great success with them.

I've done a couple of glass bowl pumps with refurb kits over the years (actually both for the same car, though it had an engine change between, which meant the original pump no longer fitted). I found it to be an easy and effective job both times, no problems.

45 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

It’s just me then ☹️

db

Doug, I can confirm the lack of fuel at the pump, the time gap appears to depend on if its cold or hot weather. Shorter with hot weather. Again refurbed the pump and it made no difference.

I agree the delay does help pump the oil up.

Dave

On 27/03/2020 at 11:34, Gary Flinn said:

Vinda

Welcome to the Forum, your Fuel pump should have a Priming Lever at the bottom, if you operate it up and down for a few seconds until you see fuel appearing in the Glass chamber the car should then start after a couple of turns on the starter?

I used to have to do this with my Vitesse if I left if for any length of time, as the Fuel would drain back or evaporate, never did know which?

Regards

Gary

Hi Gary

I think I tried that but not sure, its been a good few months since I drove it,but ill give it ago tomorrow.Fingers crossed! Thanks for your feedback.

Vinda

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

You could put an inline electric solenoid petrol valve from a LPG conversion before the pump.

I fitted one to my parents Alvis 12/50 Ducktail and it was operated off the oil pressure switch so the car wouldnt start till it had oil pressure after it had been standing for several days/weeks/months. It also had an electric fuel pump as we relocated the tank to the dickey seat area.

7 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Nice!! Am I correct that they didn't have a fuel pump originally?

Original tank sat above your feet and gravity fed the carbs.

When they bought that car it could not climb the hill out of Dunedin so it got shipped to Wellington. It kept running out of fuel, but it must have had other problems as these cars have been driven up hills many times 

thanks for all the feedback every one. I got it started and had a drink at the same time! in doing so i noticed fuel coming out of the bottom of one of the carbs,I will investigate and see if this makes it easier to start, meanwhile its running beautifully.