What to do

Hi, I have a 1975 1500 Spitfire which I have used as a donor car. I have stripped the bonnet,boot lid,doors,engine and gearbox. My question is, is it worth trying to sell the rest of the car or should I just weigh it in. I have no experience of this sort of thing so any advice would be appreciated.

You could start by listing all the parts you have here.

And lots of people have eBay auctions for "One wheel nut - 0.1p" to advertise that they have a whole car's worth of parts to sell.  "Contact me for details" they say, thereby robbing you of what protection buying through eBay gives you, and saving themselves eBay's fees.  BUt why not join them?

JOhn

I do hate that sort of ad soooo much; so does eBay and some of the advertisers have had their accounts suspended as being against the rules. 

I’d be tempted to advertise as ‘breaking Spitfire 1500’ and let prospective purchasers make contact and ask if a specific part is available; even advertising a few parts as a ’normal’ eBay advert may surprise you as to what is sought-after and what parts will sell. Even a rusty chassis, sold as ‘collection only’ can be useful for restoration or repair sections, so don’t throw anything out until you’ve tried to advertise it first.

• 2 weeks later...

Also comes down to the room you have to store items. I advertised a Vitesse convertible rear tub with a very rusty floor and wings for 50p lots of people looking but no takers. In the end saved the the bits unique to the convertible tub and scrapped the rest. Bits now sit in roof of garage if I ever need to convert a saloon tub.

Regards

Paul

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

When the car appeared for sale in the 'courier', I had several phone calls about it and the first person who looked at it bought it. I would recommend advertising anything in the courier before you try anywhere else.Thanks for all the feedback