play in choke spindle

daverclasper

Hi everyone.

I bought a set of twin Stromberg 150 cd carbs cheap, with the idea of rebuilding, or if not using for spares.

There is some scoring of the carb body of one of them where the choke spindle rotates. This is causing play, above what would be acceptable on a throttle spindle I think.

Would this also cause the same problems with mixture and difficulty in tuning/setting them up.

Any advice as always greatly appriciated.

Cheers

Dave

Dave do you know just what CD you have ?

I take it you mean the throttle spindle as some do if you have the early with thames barrier type choke

if this spindle is worn its less of a issue

if the main throttle plate spindle is worn its normal to wear more of the brass than the body

some late bodies have a ptfe bush fitted which can be replaced , if not then it requires reaming and have

a bush fitted with a new shaft

ive used the carb exchange in leighton buzzard as there close and fair priced

but other places can do this work , dont try to drill or ream it yourself it needs a jig to keep all very central

pete

Cheers for getting back Pete.

Its the same carb as fitted to my 67 vitesse. The throttle spindles are worn and have play, but not the corresponding bores of the body, so straight forward to replace spindles.

It is the choke I'm wondering about, on one side of one carb, which has the play due to heavy scoring in the bore of the the body for the spindle. Don't know how that happened.

It has the flat section in centre of spindle to lift the needle piston when choking (I think this is how it works). Is this the Thames Barrier carb and if so, not much an issue ?.

Cheers

Dave 

Yes thats a early cd150 I call it thames barrier as its a similar operation

and would not be to concerned about the wear here its ouside of any mixture effects on the basic settings

It may allow some air passage and reduce the effect of the ramp choking the venturi

but not rocket science.

good site with excellant clues , not the right spec carb but very useful

http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/technical.htm

pete

Cheers again Pete and for info.

I will get new needles for carbs, as they are wrong size and prob worn

The jet orifice itself. Are these standard across cd 150's as no history with rebuild carbs, and also can they be subject to wear.

Thanks Dave