Rear diff bushes

Tom

Hello,

I need to press new rear bushes into my diff casing, it looks like they will be an incredibly tight fit!

I have a press at work nut we have all been sent home for the forseeable, I was contem  using treaded bar to pull the bush in but if anyone has any suggestions that would be great, I presume heating the flange and popping the bush in freezer might also help?

Tom.

Make sure when removing the old ones that you get the metal sleeve out too; often members just remove the rubber inner and the sleeve stays where it is, thereby making fitting the replacements almost impossible. If you lubricate it well it will slide in under reasonable pressure, it shouldn't take tons of force. Have you removed the casing from the diff? Makes things a lot easier!

Yes the diff is out the casing, tried with a hydralic puller and threaded bar but the slope on the back face of the flange keeps pushing the bush over, out of square. I'll make a wedge to square up the back face.

All the old bushing is out but there is no way it will push in easily, maybe I have iffy bushes? I bought them about 3 years ago from trgb I think, I'll file a lead onto the front edge see if that helps. Got them in the freezer at the moment see it that helps?

43 minutes ago, Tom said:

All the old bushing is out but there is no way it will push in easily, maybe I have iffy bushes? I bought them about 3 years ago from trgb I think, I'll file a lead onto the front edge see if that helps. Got them in the freezer at the moment see it that helps?

Chamfering the edge will help. I pressed my last ones in with a bench vice; just keep them square on. If you're using a threaded to pull them in, is it long enough to go right through both mountings? That way gives better access to the nuts and helps you pull the bushes in from a better angle, rather than a short length that just goes through one.

The're in....but it was bery difficult.

I measured the difference between the hole and the bush with a micrometer,  the bush was 0.38mm bigger. I know that doesn't sound much but that is a hell of an interferance fit!!

I stuck the bushes in my old black and decker power drill which has a handy frame that alows it to be mounted to a bench and using a file and some emery cloth got it down to 0.05mm over, they then pressed in nice and tight with threaded bar and then once that got too tight a high quality hydraulic puller!!

Fitted all new seals and a gasket and hey presto I now have a diff!!!

I intended to be welding today but my angle grinder blew up after about 1 minute of use this morning so at least I have achieved something!

IMG_1610.JPG

IMG_2534.JPG

31 minutes ago, Tom said:

I intended to be welding today but my angle grinder blew up after about 1 minute of use this morning so at least I have achieved something!

Never tried welding with an angle grinder, you learn something new as they say. :) (That should give you some idea of the standard of this forum....)

Glad the bushes are in, another job out of the way!

Just had a thought, when I assembled the diff, should the flanges on the output shafts have had sealant on them such as Welseal?

I don't remember removing a gasket, and one doesn't seem to be listed, but maybe it should be sealed?

1 hour ago, Tom said:

Just had a thought, when I assembled the diff, should the flanges on the output shafts have had sealant on them such as Welseal?

I don't remember removing a gasket, and one doesn't seem to be listed, but maybe it should be sealed?

Correct - they don't have a gasket fitted. I use  a thin smear of Blue Hylomar to avoid leaks.

Gav