Pete Lewis

as a youngster i used to hate coffee and bread pudding but as you grow older ideas change 

i am a definite love bread pudding fan 

so if you have now got all that panic bought bread going off here;s my recipe for something yummy 

8oz old bread with crusts cut off

1/2pint milk 

8oz of sultanas

2oz suet

3 tblspn mixed spice or ginger 

2oz brown sugar

2 beaten eggs

dash of grated nutmeg

1 tblspn granulated sugar

break up bread in bowl pour over milk leave to soak for 30mins

beat milk bread and fruit  suet sugar spice into a sticky dough

grease a flat tin, and pre heat oven to 180c

load tin pat flat and cook 1.25 hrs

remove . sprinkle granuataled sugar on top and leave to cool 

eat heated or cold with custard or as a cake 

great for the waistline and boring days of lock down

i even give a odd slice to my dog walking Nurse Gwendoline  we keep 6ft apart especially as she has been busy painting her drawers 

Pete

7 minutes ago, Pete Lewis said:

i even give a odd slice to my dog walking Nurse Gwendoline  we keep 6ft apart especially as she has been busy painting her drawers 

That's a disturbing image. Is it anything to do with your cooking?

I'm more of a defroster than a cook so I've been having fun raiding the freezer for odd stuff (to make room for fresher items) and found a huge bag of frozen turkey left over from Christmas - tasted great in M&S Chicken soup.

I also made about two gallons of chili con carne which was divided into two-serving tubs and frozen. The older it gets the better it tastes...

4 minutes ago, JohnD said:

I'm finding that I must eat the same thing, two nights in a row!    Most supermarket meat and fish is sold in two person quantities.    

The way to do it is:-

Day 1: menu A

Day2: menu B

Day3: menu A

Day4: menu B

That's the way we organise it when Mrs makes things such as spag/bol, chilli or quiche.

Bon appétit

Ready meals?!! :o The work of Beelzebub!

I make minestrone soup, onions, tomatoes, garlic, left overs and pasta. Lasts for days if you keep topping it up with more stuff you find lurking in the fridge/cupboards. 

Made some French bread to go with it, you have to put a tray of boiling water in the oven, makes it go crusty, steam everywhere, great fun.

Doug

OOOOH!  Bread making!  Bro-on-Law makes soda bread, 'cos he can't get yeast.  Looks great but its 300 miles away.

Ready meals occasionally, also F&C, but the local closed before this sh*t hit threfan.   So the last two nights, I've had pan fried mackerel with oven roasted mediterranean veggis.   Good for the brain and good for the bowel!     It's silverside beef tonight - and tomorrow!  Must remember to put it on quick, it needs hours in the oven.     But my signature dish is sausage casserole - ye gods its easy!

John

Lump of salmon fillet, put it in a casserole dish. Then drizzle with lemon or lime juice/cordial. Then sprinkle with salt, pepper and a pince of oregano. Microwave for 10 minutes or until you can push a fork gently through it. Serve with baked potatoes left over from last year's bonfire (and frozen) and crunchy veg. Pour any remaining juice from the salmon over as a sauce.. lovely. (Thanks to Jimmy Young, receipe of the day)