Herald 1200 clutch

Tom

Hello again Fellas,

been distracted for a few days as my daughter wanted a new chicken coop and run building!!

Back on the Herald tomorrow, I going to put the flywheel, new clutch ( managed to get a 9 spring one Canley )  gearbox and starter motor in tomorrow.

I've deglazed the flywheel, I'll turn a clutch centering tool tonight to line up the friction plate. I have two new rear gearbox mounts.

My flywheel bolts did not have any locking tabs so I will make those too.

Any tips with reassembly apart from care full alignment to avoid bending/stressing anything

Tom.

DSCN6175.JPG

i would just reuse the exiting bolts adding some loctite to hold them,  tab washers are not the best and in many applications not now used   

having a softish tab washer on a hard face of a flywheel , means the tab can deform and torque is lost .

if the bolts were torqued to yield then they must not be reused but that not the design  criteria  of Herald engineering 

Pete

Looks like I missed something...... I turned up a tool to line up the friction plate. The end of the spigot is pretty much bang on 12mm, when I put this in the spigot support bush in the end of the crank it was like chucking a sausage up Oxford street! Seems my spigot bush is extremely worn out, measures at around 13.5mm, I'm presuming it should be a snug fit on the end of the gearbox input spigot.

I wonder if this was one of the causes of the judder and broken spring in the friction plate? 

yes it will  contribute 

if the old bush is tight in the  crank  make a punch to fit the worn bore (or close) ( even timber ) fill cavity with grease , fit punch and give it a whack witha club hammer  and the bush pops out ,  with grease all over you best shirt 

Pete

Yes, much like the inner needle bearing on the drive shafts it's more of a support.

One more question, is it normal for the splined input shaft to have a little bit of up/down play in it? ie. It can be waggled slightly.

Tom.

yes quite normal  its only a single ball race so has some waggle even with the mainshaft spigot they both have some side wiggle till all ends are supported 

then the locations are confined in   flywheel spigot/ ball race, / mainshaft spigot/   ball race /  tail shaft bearing / once all together  no real slop detectable

and if box is off its not wise to stand it up ended on the clutch hsg, as any debris stuck in the residual oil will sink  into the input shaft race  and   wreck it 

Pete

• 2 weeks later...

Well chaps the chassis paint should be dry so the plan tomorrow is to fit the following,

1. Clutch ( I have an alignment tool )

2. Diff ( new seals fitted )

3. Propshaft ( New uj's and has been balanced )

4. Spring ( really done anything to it, would it be a good idea to clean and oil it? )

5. Driveshafts/trunnions ( new bearings, seals and uj's fitted )

Think I could muddle my way through, I have haynes and factory manuals but any pearls of wisdom from you fellas would be great.

Rear tub is off so no access issues.

Also I need to order some gear and diff oil, I presume regular EP90 GL4 is fine for both the box and diff, I haven't bought any straight EP90 for ages as the car has been off the road for so long!

i was of the thought oiling springs just attracts road dirt and the pads and leaves get ground away, , if you oil it , wrap it 

ep90  GL4 is right    some are EP80/90      never a GL5

others have recommended a 140    see the posts on diff drain plugs for more idea's 

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

i was of the thought oiling springs just attracts road dirt and the pads and leaves get ground away, , if you oil it , wrap it 

Plumbers grease-impregnated tape is good stuff; wrap it tightly and it will stiffen the spring too. Just fasten the ends with cable ties or, even better, wire twists.

The water authorities use a product called Denso Tape to protect buried fittings a Denso putty is used to fill gaps and sharp corners so the tape doesn’t tear. In air I think it might dry out, I used it in joining the front and rear body tubs, bit messy but better than that originally used, after 10 years still soft.

I have a few yards left around 14in wide, gawd it’s messy.

Pete T

55 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

The water authorities use a product called Denso Tape

That's the stuff! I bought a few rolls a while back, coated the springs in grease then wound the tape over it tightly round the springs starting at the edge of the diff mount right out to the eyes. Squishy stuff but it keeps the springs taut and rust-free where it covers. The alternative was rather expensive leather gaiters which more or less do the same job.

OK chaps, to be fair it actually in not bad  condition think I'll just clean it up, it's got a greasy film on it, maybe waxoil but it's clean enough and was being a perfectly good spring when last used.

I just wondered if there was any maintenance I could do whilst it's off and accessible.  

I'll go down the if it ain't broke don't fix it route.

DSCN6185.JPG

DSCN6186.JPG

DSCN6187.JPG

I feel we decided that the word front was marked on the spring as it stopped anyone asking which way round , when its a straight spring and in the end front or back was of no significance other than  if marked up ............it saved a question 

back to the days of unskilled operators  on the assy line 

Pete