It's nearly time to swap engines!

yorkshire_spam

11 hours ago, yorkshire_spam said:

It runs, but my attempts to video the first fire up failed, and when I did manage to video the second fire up the sound is totally out of sync with the video. I think I'm better with old Triumphs than I am with video cameras. (Think I fixed the video/audio issue!)

Sounds excellent! 

21 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Anxiety and triumph then 🙂

For me the anxiety lasts about a thousand miles, and by then I reckon it’ll be ok.

Nick

Same here, but the anxiety peaks for me when first turning the key on a new engine.

We only do it for the adrenaline rush!

Nigel

7 minutes ago, Nigel Clark said:

Same here, but the anxiety peaks for me when first turning the key on a new engine.

We only do it for the adrenaline rush!

Nigel

I've just turned the key on a completely rewired dashboard and steering column in the GT6, and the anxious wait for smoke was nail-biting... but it seems to be okay so far. I'm putting off rebuilding the newly-bored Herald engine until after this lockdown thingy, when someone more experienced can look over my shoulder.

46 minutes ago, Nick Jones said:

Anxiety and triumph then 🙂

For me the anxiety lasts about a thousand miles, and by then I reckon it’ll be ok.

Nick

The last engine work I did was a bottom end rebuild and re-fit cylinder head when this engine died on the 2015 border Raiders... I managed a bit of local testing but it's first major run was the 2015 10CR! I spent the first two days "bricking it"

14 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I've just turned the key on a completely rewired dashboard and steering column in the GT6, and the anxious wait for smoke was nail-biting... but it seems to be okay so far. I'm putting off rebuilding the newly-bored Herald engine until after this lockdown thingy, when someone more experienced can look over my shoulder.

Yeah, that's another high blood pressure moment!

Nigel 

Fired it up again last night, I'm really happy with how it runs on such a basic tune-up. Tick-over nice at about 800 rpm, a little lumpy in places, but I've yet to fine tune the ignition timing and the carbs will need setting up again for this engine.

Couple of minor issues:

Water leaks - at the back of the water pump (pipe that runs behind the manifold) and the bottom hose.

Exhaust blowing - my Frankenstein's monster bitsa exhaust system needs taking off, joints cleaning and properly reassembling instead of just shoving it on and hoping for the best. 

Something to do this weekend!

After a full rebuild of my PI engine anxiety number one was the first fire up. That went ok.... Did about 1000 miles pottering about, with a bit of EFI mapping. Rolling road session raised the anxiety levels a fair bit as it got a good ragging. That went ok, even very decent numbers. Then, just a week later, a Club Triumph HCR.  1127 miles door to door in about 30 hours. I gave up worrying about half way through that, after 25 minutes at a sustained speed more suited to a German autobahn...... running it close to the half way deadline ..... again. Funnily enough, final running in (aka high speed soak test) of the Vitesse new engine happened in much the same way, just on the M40 rather than the A1.......

• Like 1