GT6 Round Tail Shell Wanted

Callan Hyde

Hi, never used the forum before but seeing my current situation nows a good time to start!

Im in search of an early mark Gt6 tub, the worse condition the better in the respect that I will be more able to afford it!

My project car was backed into whilst in storage over the winter, a spitfire mk3 with 2.0 engine and gt6 bonnet. the tub is completely bent and so i need a new tub.

Would love to find a Gt6 tub as its the only chance Im going to get at being able to build my dream car for the forseable future.

Im based in Shrewsbury, Shropshire, the closer the better but can get someone to collect dependant upon price and range.

Thanks in advance for any responses, im not expecting much as obviously there is far from an abundance of them about but i thought i would give it a go as I dont have much of a choice.

Thanks again 

11 hours ago, Callan Hyde said:

My project car was backed into whilst in storage over the winter, a spitfire mk3 with 2.0 engine and gt6 bonnet. the tub is completely bent and so i need a new tub.

Is it really beyond repair? Finding a shell may be difficult, but there are so many replacement panels these days it might be worth giving repairs a go?

2 minutes ago, AidanT said:

Not saying they will be able to help but if you really want a tub there are two places that come to mind- Chic Douig and Spitfire Graveyard

Aidan

It was Chic Doig I had in mind for the tub repair sections and repair panels, he rebuilt my GT6 Mk1 bodyshell so was the first that came to mind.

1 hour ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Is it really beyond repair? Finding a shell may be difficult, but there are so many replacement panels these days it might be worth giving repairs a go?

It's pretty bad. The rear lights are now closer to the bottom of the wheels than anything else and the front of the bulkhead slightly warled. The shell itself was fairly rotten when I started and still is, still needs new floors, sills etc. Two inner wings panels and outer wings cost more than I have spent on it so far, although not original I think it will be far more cost effective to find another tub.

1 hour ago, AidanT said:

Not saying they will be able to help but if you really want a tub there are two places that come to mind- Chic Douig and Spitfire Graveyard

Aidan

Alrighty, ive already sent en email to spitfire graveyard but will look into chic douig. Cheers

1 hour ago, NonMember said:

What Colin said! There's a decent chance your existing shell is as easily repairable as any GT6 tub you can afford.

I had scheduled to purchase one from a mutual contact for £350 needed new floors and sills, unfortunately that's no longer going ahead as he has found a logbook and had decided to build the car up.

They are out there but I suspect it's just going to be a case of waiting for a while until one pops up

• 2 months later...

Just out of interest did you have any luck in finding a shell. I'm in a similar boat (except for the crash!) and have decided to rebuild a shell but was interested to find out what you had found as the costs are going up and up - although I do enjoy welding!!

If anybody has any though I still need a couple of GT6 Mk2 doors!

Many Thanks and good luck

Stephen

18 hours ago, Gt6ball said:

Just out of interest did you have any luck in finding a shell. I'm in a similar boat (except for the crash!) and have decided to rebuild a shell but was interested to find out what you had found as the costs are going up and up - although I do enjoy welding!!

If anybody has any though I still need a couple of GT6 Mk2 doors!

Many Thanks and good luck

Stephen

Hi Stephen.

Unfortunately in my search for a shell I have got no-where. I located a fairly trashed gt6 mk3 shell for 500+, i did arrange to purchase a mk2 shell which had been cut in half for about £350 but seller ended up pulling out when they found a logbook to pair with it which was particularly annoying. 

Im planning on making a few visits once the whole corona thing has chilled off. Been suggested one or two places which are worth a try.

Im all out on doors, my donor car had the top halfs of the doors, the lower halfs missing in their entirity lol Thankfully managed to secure two from a write off car last year.