Solid .Type prop shaft

Andrew

Hello all

i have been trying for the last couple of years to find the grease nipple on my prop shaft.  So today had a good look all four wheels of the ground and I cannot find the blessed thing. After a bit of research I found the are three types of shaft a splined one a strap type one and a solid one. Is it possible to have a solid shaft with no sliding splines on and if so there would be no need for a grease nipple.  

Andrew

But soe UJ's do have grease nipples, or at least a blanking screw so one can be fitted.

Yes, only heralds had solid props, and even then only some. Strap drive are a PITA (fixed one for a local by doing the unthinkable, removing the straps and bolting it up solid. Means the UJ's are out of phase, but stopped the horrendous vibration) 

Sliding spline are best as they are simpler to fit/remove, and allow a bit of movement of the engine/box. Or even better would be a CV joint, reserved for spitfire 1500s for some reason.

1 hour ago, clive said:

for some reason.

Cost. As always.

So the solid prop is the cheapest to make, and was fitted to Heralds, unless there was an NVH problem. The strap type is only a little more expensive and would often fix the problem. The sliding spline costs more still but is generally better for NVH, which was worth the cost on a Vitesse with its "silky smooth and silent" advertising persona. CV joints were expensive in the '60s but had become common by the mid '70s.

10 minutes ago, NonMember said:

Cost. As always.

So the solid prop is the cheapest to make, and was fitted to Heralds, unless there was an NVH problem. The strap type is only a little more expensive and would often fix the problem. The sliding spline costs more still but is generally better for NVH, which was worth the cost on a Vitesse with its "silky smooth and silent" advertising persona. CV joints were expensive in the '60s but had become common by the mid '70s.

Orrrr was it that Triumph were too far out on chassis dimensions and it was easier to fit a variable length prop to accommodate the differences😂

• Haha 1

Ho all

The car is 1971 Herald.  The prob a si said before is a solid type.  I have had it balanced by a pro and they added weights in the appropriate places.  No vibration at all.  I think i am looing for something to do as i have time on my hands.   

28 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Ho all

The car is 1971 Herald.  The prob a si said before is a solid type.  I have had it balanced by a pro and they added weights in the appropriate places.  No vibration at all.  I think i am looing for something to do as i have time on my hands.   

The Devil makes work for idle hands.. join the club!

As I've said I've used a solid prop on the Estate, and will also use one on the convertible, and can't see any problems.

• 2 weeks later...

If it's any help, when I put my overdrive in many years ago the propshaft that came with it was a strap drive with mangled looking straps.

It went to Dave Mac for checking & came back with weights fitted sprayed black and no straps! Like Clive mentioned above he'd chucked the straps away and bolted it solid.

It's still like that today with no ill effects I'm aware of & no vibration.