Windscreen fitting

Mike R

I feel really chuffed .... just completed fitting my new windscreen to the GT6. Thought I’d pass on a few things I learned along the way.

Firstly, the spitfire and GT6 magazine has a good set of instructions http://www.triumphspitfire.com/Windshield.html

but, there are a few other things as well

* Hang the seal for a few days so it takes approx the right shape.

* The suggestion to use masking tape to hold the seal on the glass is a good one, otherwise it just pops off as you move to the next part. I had a piece of tape every couple of inches.

* Leave the seal taped onto the glass for a few days, it settles into its new shape and the masking tape can then be removed.

* Think carefully about the right string / cord for slipping round the seal. Too thin and it can cut the rubber as you try to pull the seal lip over the screen surround. Too large and it will trap between seal and metal and be very difficult to pull. I used 2mm nylon, it did start to cut the rubber at one point, but worked ok if careful.

* Heat is your friend. The rubber becomes much more flexible the warmer it is. I had an electric heater sat on the engine and a hairdryer to use as needed. Warm each bit of rubber before trying to pull the seal over the metal rim.

* The corners are tricky, the cord doesn’t want to pull. But keep working it, and keep using that hairdryer and it does eventually move.

* As you work round the amount of cord left in the seal gets shorter, so when you pull it just pulls through rather than over the metal. Have to keep an eye on this because you don’t want to lose the end. Either work each side alternatively, or hold both ends of the cord.

* When finished, some parts didn’t sit fully home. Again judicial use of hairdryer whilst pushing the screen into place made the seal move gradually home.

And then there’s the chrome strip.... The reason I needed the new screen was because the old one leaked. It was fitted by one of the mainstream windscreen companies, but I discovered the leak about a year later because of lack of use in the rain. The reason for the leak had 2 parts I believe:

1. The fitter used no sealant
2. The chrome strip fits in the single slot in the outer part of the rubber with the other side of the chrome strip sitting under the rubber seal lip. This means that the seal lip doesn’t seal as well to the surround. I’d be interested in anyone’s thoughts on this?

For this reason I’ve decided not to fit the chrome strip.

D99F17B3-102A-4DF0-AFDC-FCBE68960947.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

glad you've succeeded , 

if the corners are not formed by the maker then they curl and run shy as they stretch round the corner, ( think co baines cure the corners )

the  chrome /stainless and the simpler mylar plastic inserts expand the rubber and help lock the screen in place, 

you dont want to slam a door and the air pressure pops the screen out

they do need sealer i always recomend the old black gutter seal  easy to squirt on and clean with white spirit

to fit one without sealer is a no no  dry seal multi flip rubbers were not introduced till the late 80s  

i only say thatas i was involved with industry trials on truck screens with the  Dunstable rubber Co who made most in the day

to aid bedding fill an old glove with sharp dry sand or shot , makes a nice dull cushioned whacker 

always treat laminated with great care  ,   toughend  will take a lot of abuse 

Pete

• Like 1

• KevinR pinned this topic
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

I was speaking to an autowindscreen fitter today and he said a good way to fit the chrome insert is to first fit a 2mm cord into the slot.

Then fit the chrome in before putting the rubber on the screen etc.

Then once the main screen is fitted pull the chrome insert cord towards the middle of the screen carefully making sure the seal pulls up to the base of the chrome.

He said he did one recently, no problems.

paul

• Like 1

• 8 months later...

Hi Mike.

Thanks for your windscreen fitting tips. I just fitted my GT6 screen and I used 4/5mm Dinghy rope, worked a treat. Dry mounted the screen to the rubber, to prevent it moving around, used masking 'gaffer' tape as you suggested every few inches, lubed the metal seam (washing up liquid) and made sure the lower seal lip was nicely seated on the screen surround before pulling the rope. I was pleasantly surprised it all went very easy until the two top corners but lots of patience and in she popped.

Now the chrome finishing strip is another story. I've checked the usual, Youtube, for guidance but there is no way that little sucker is going all the way down into the slot, even with the fitting tool, it just will not go in deep enough and lubricant makes it pop out. I can easily get it to sit in the slot with the top flange above the seal but no way is it going to sit inside.

Anyone got any ideas, and no I'm not taking the screen out to fit it to the rubber before fitting!

no idea i though most profiles of the era were somewhat similar  may be the width of the visible bit varies 

having fitted many screens in the day ( mostly on truck problems ) the insert on the rear on my 2000 is missing and the rubbers so hard and the boots sooo long 

my old arms dont stand a chance  ha 

Pete

On 18/07/2021 at 10:35, Pete Lewis said:

or fit the steel trim before you fit the screen seems to work

I have heard from a lot of people that fitting the trim first helps. I have no idea how that could work... reminds me of herding cats...

i would fit the glass to rubber then add the trim 

no triumph seals are dry seal all need some goo to seal the glass to rubber and rubber to aperture

so pipe it into the glass channel and fill the flips  prior  to loading in the aperture add the string pull before you seal tape the overlapping

string ends  to the glass 

to feed string around the rubber used a short length of tube as a feeder 

the advantage of cheapo gutter sealer is it cleans off easy with simple white spirit 

until dry seals were developed (and i had a hand in that idea) on production  of 90 trucks a day we only used black bostic kept in a old flatley  airer

to keep it warm and supple 

• 3 months later...

I have spent many evenings trying to fit the chrome trim. A lot of frustration and cut fingers! But it is so rewarding when fitted and looks so much better with the trim installed.

I used a rotary washing line under the rubber seal lip and a lot of water with washing liquid. Just be patient, luckily I have small hands and I was able to push the rubber inside of the trim where the washing line failed. 

I have not used any windscreen sealant, shall I be worried? 😜

I purchased the plastic chrome trim from Rimmers, however it has a small crease (my fault). If anyone would like it I can send some photos, I don’t need it anymore

Joanna    all i can say is they are designed to be sealed if it doesnt leak you are lucky 

but cheapo black gutter seal cartridge and 'blaster gun' (as used for silicon sealers)   all thats needed , pipe it in the glass and fitting flips clean up excess with a scraper and wipe with white spirit on a cloth 

Pete

• 3 months later...
On 24/10/2021 at 19:43, Joanna K said:

I have spent many evenings trying to fit the chrome trim. A lot of frustration and cut fingers! But it is so rewarding when fitted and looks so much better with the trim installed.

I used a rotary washing line under the rubber seal lip and a lot of water with washing liquid. Just be patient, luckily I have small hands and I was able to push the rubber inside of the trim where the washing line failed. 

I have not used any windscreen sealant, shall I be worried? 😜

I purchased the plastic chrome trim from Rimmers, however it has a small crease (my fault). If anyone would like it I can send some photos, I don’t need it anymore

Thanks for letting me have your spare trim, Joanna. Managed to get it to fit eventually 👍IMG_20220131_154910_306.thumb.jpg.1240fbf4a8367a81557c02685b62b120.jpgIMG_20220131_154929_000.thumb.jpg.5e11a76147fcf9987546ae4899653087.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 month later...

Hi,

I’m having all sorts of trouble getting a windscreen to fit my 1980 1500 Spitfire.

I’ve read all the previous forum chat above and following each bit of advice, I’m struggling.

I have tried and failed with a screen supplied by Rimmers. When sitting it in place without a rubber, it looks to big.

Comparing it to the old cracked and delaminating screen, it looks to big.

When discussing with Rimmers they say after checking stock from the same batch that there shouldn’t be a problem.

After an experienced fitter gave up after a second and third attempt, I resorted to Autoglass who supplied there own XXX windscreen. They have now had three fitters attempt and fail.

I’ve resorted to having my original Rimmers screen cut down I little to make it match the damaged screen that came out.

I hope to attempt to fit it next week……! 

Any advice before I start again.

Thank you in anticipation.

Howard “Newby”

6 hours ago, Howard said:

Any advice before I start again.

Yes. Post photos!

The screen on a Spitfire came in two sizes - small for Mk1-3 and big for Mk4&1500. If yours is definitely a 1980 model then it should definitely take the larger glass, but if it's been hacked around and modified then some photos will let someone on here advise you.

45 minutes ago, NonMember said:

If yours is definitely a 1980

When was the change?. It begs the question that the shell might have been "old stock". Something not entirely unknown?. OR a recycled older front tub after accident damage?.

In the later stages of B-L. if was alleged that some models sat in fields for as much as a couple of years before being "discounted" and sold and registered as "NEW".

Pete

59 minutes ago, PeteH said:

When was the change?

And it's pretty damn obvious, too - the small screen fits the TR4-6 type frame that can be unbolted from the bulkhead, while the big screen fits the integral frame that's all one pressing with the bulkhead top.

But... it's not unknown for people to have "restored" a late Spitfire by bolting the main tub of an early one onto it. The chassis is the same apart from bonnet hinges, and the late bonnet happily fits with the early bulkhead. The result looks decidedly odd to anyone familiar with the two standard shapes but it all fits.

• Like 1

Matthew I had trouble on the Mk2 Spit with the thicker section window rubber, not fitting the plastic chrome trim but I couldn't get the hood front strip to fit under the windscreen Aluminum header, i had to pack the header off the frame a little with washers to get an adequate clearance, there's Denso tape between the header and windscreen frame to seal from water now! 

• 4 weeks later...
On 07/03/2022 at 19:25, Joanna K said:

Well done Cliff, it looks great! 

Wow that trim is the best I’ve seen.

Does one edge of the plastic/chrome strip fit between the seal and the metal work?

I’ve been trying to fit it between the seal and the glass…

Thanks for all the advice.

Howard.