Vitesse mk2 engine rebuild do's and don'ts...help

Iain T

• 2 weeks later...

Engine is now stripped and just a few faults. It seems the rings, according to CTM are very odd and the bores seem to have been honed by hand with wet and dry!  No cross hatching. The mains have a very small pick up but can be lapped out. Apart from that everything seems to be within spec. The pistons when I took them out seemed OK and again CTM said they are fine. The crank/pistons haven't been balanced and weighed yet so I don't know how good or bad they are but as it is it seemed smooth at higher revs.

The camshaft is I believe a Bastuck M27TR6PI and for the way I drive didn't work particularly well. I have opted for a hybrid Newman cam with a PH2 lift and power coming in at around 1800 revs. Apart from measuring lift which seems to be 0.280" I can't seem to get a spec on the Bastuck cam, does anyone know?

The cam has only done 5000 or so miles so is in very good condition if anyone wants to give it a punt PM me.

Hopefully all will be ready for re-assembly next week.

Iain

IMG_20200428_151534_resized_20200428_043108699.jpg

IMG_20200428_151555_resized_20200428_043254784.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Nigel, is this what you are referring to on the inlet manifolds? I took my cue from Tony Lindsay Dean (article in club mag years ago, I think). This is port no.5 showing the 'wall' before and after. I opened out the ports as well to match 1.75 SUs, you can see the scribe mark. Not the same manifold as I had two.

Manifold port No 5 Before.jpg

Manifold port No 5 After.jpg

My mk2 manifold has been reworked similar to Don's and according to CTM it does help. 

I forgot to take another picture as I've been preoccupied putting the engine back in. Hopefully fire up next Tuesday or Wednesday depending on if I find anymore issues. New King shells, rings (the ones fitted where so tight they couldn't rotate), seals, hone, balancing, reworked rods etc fitted. With the plugs out I'll prime the oil system before crossing everything and firing up! 

IMG_20200506_120405.jpg

IMG_20200506_152102.jpg

IMG_20200506_133835.jpg

IMG_20200506_133815.jpg

2 hours ago, Don Cook said:

Nigel, is this what you are referring to on the inlet manifolds? I took my cue from Tony Lindsay Dean (article in club mag years ago, I think). This is port no.5 showing the 'wall' before and after. I opened out the ports as well to match 1.75 SUs, you can see the scribe mark. Not the same manifold as I had two.

Manifold port No 5 Before.jpg

Manifold port No 5 After.jpg

Thank you Don, that's what I meant. Chris Witor recommends exactly the same modification and his before and after flow rates show massive improvement to cylinders 2 & 5. Can't understand why Triumph made it that way, the engineers must have been aware of the uneven flow.

Iain, great progress! Fingers crossed for fire up next week.

Nigel

As to cams as I said previously I asked Newmans for a PH2 but with lower down torque. I relied on their experience and they supplied a billet cam with 270 duration and 0.260 inlet and exhaust lift plus nitride followers. 

I hope it works with the reworked head and increased CR. 

I'll post next week! 

15889561250788881813276924886929.jpg

On 14/04/2020 at 19:36, Nigel Clark said:

Iain,

I would be really interested to see what has been done on the carb side. Cylinders 2 and 5 don't get fed as well as the others.

I've been working at the manifold on my 2.5 litre GT6 to reduce this problem but think I may need to go further to reduce the 'gates' that mask 2 and 5.

Nigel

I will try to find a picture of my HS6 manifold on my 2.5 Vitesse,modified in 2016 ish by Gareth Thomas,i can tell you he removed a lot of material.Engine is great though.

Steve

2 hours ago, Iain T said:

As to cams as I said previously I asked Newmans for a PH2 but with lower down torque. I relied on their experience and they supplied a billet cam with 270 duration and 0.260 inlet and exhaust lift plus nitride followers. 

I hope it works with the reworked head and increased CR. 

I'll post next week! 

15889561250788881813276924886929.jpg

That's the same timing as the standard GT6/Vitesse Mk2 cam part no. 308788 but with more lift. Should be a great fast road profile, Triumph's original was good, plenty of low down torque and it really sings as the revs build. With the extra lift, your Newman special should be even better!

Nigel

On fitting the water pump I noticed a small 2-3mm diameter hole in the casting by the shaft. 

Is this a drain therefore fit down or for lubricating so fit facing up? 

A small issue but I would like to get it right. 

Iain 

Thanks for replies, I fitted the pump with the hole facing up as I had assumed it was for lubrication. But a friend said no its for drainage so fit facing down. 

I'm leaving as is, so I can lubricate and as John said water flying everywhere is a good indication summit's wrong! 

Iain 

Johny, good point I perhaps wouldn't notice a small leak that needs drainage. I'll fit it face down. 

My next visit to the car is tomorrow when I have to grovel under the car to refit the 6-3-1 collector box (the three pipes came out but it will be a wood block and persuader to get them back in) and the rest of the exhaust. Then onto connecting everything else. I'm enjoying the work but the 60 mile round trip is a pain especially in Covid world! 

Thanks again 

Iain 

On 14/04/2020 at 19:36, Nigel Clark said:

Iain,

I would be really interested to see what has been done on the carb side. Cylinders 2 and 5 don't get fed as well as the others.

I've been working at the manifold on my 2.5 litre GT6 to reduce this problem but think I may need to go further to reduce the 'gates' that mask 2 and 5.

Nigel

Take a look at Chris Witors site, he has some good picks I followed with mine

https://www.chriswitor.com/cw_technical/Inlet Flow.pdf

I would thoroughly recommend coating all the bearing surfaces with Graphogen http://www.graphogen.co.uk/ to help with the initial start up but use cam lube ( https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-RX1358?gclid=CjwKCAjw7-P1BRA2EiwAXoPWA3H5MkqGqisfrfPG0uTOZsUuIIkTkSJgSFbXWJKmt9KX_OGjXoSGCRoCcE8QAvD_BwE ) on the lobes and followers.

Get yourself a set of bottle brushes from frost restoration as well to get to those bits that hide the dirt! https://www.frost.co.uk/engine-brush-set/

You will need a decent Dial gauge and magnetic base for crank end float and cam timing (finding TDC with the head off, plenty on fleabay) along with a degree disc (I printed mine out and stuck it to cardboard)  

If all else fails take a look at this series on you tube, he goes through a Triumph six rebuild step by step. 

If nothing else, clean the engine out like its a hydraulic system, any trace of dirt or grit can wreck all your hard work............

Gadgetman, all done and engine is back in the car. As the machine shop lapped and balanced the crank and honed the bores etc I got them to reassemble the block as they have a dedicated experienced engine man (ex Burton Eng). 

I'll take a photo tomorrow of the inlet manifold to show how much material has been removed to even the flow.

On another matter a friend of mine wants his 14" brake drums machined but is very concerned about getting it done correctly. Anyone know anywhere?

Iain

Hi Iain,

Thank you for the images above. I've done similar but not gone so far for my 2.5 litre GT6 which has twin short dashpot SU HS6 carbs on the original Stromberg manifold. Sometime will remove the manifold and have another go to try and improve gas flow further.

Good luck firing up your new engine, the time must be getting close!

Nigel

Hi Nigel, 

Before putting the carbs on I thought I had better bleed the clutch as its marginally easier with them off. Fluid pee'd out of the slave cylinder union and I don't have a flaring tool or copper pipe! The threads also looked in poor condition so I ordered a Goodrich hose and 7/8th slave (I like a firmer pedal) from Paddocks. Some past numpty had also partially stripped one of the bellhousing threads but thankfully a longer screw worked. I'll use loctite when I change the slaves over. After considering the options I put a 3mm rolled pin in my brass thrust bearing carrier as the non rotation dimple in the flange has resulted in corresponding worn area. Then one of the cotton reels supporting one of the back silencer boxes was almost torn through so as usual one step forward and half back. 

If only I could find where I hid the oil sender and home made bracket to mount the Huco fuel pump.....??! 

Must take my glasses tomorrow😎

Iain 

After many hiccups and more ordered parts I finally fired up the engine today!!!😃

I cranked the engine to prime the oil system, put the plugs in and much to my surprise it started second pull.....Yeh!

Downside is the thermostat housing spring a leak which needed grinding and lapping as it didn't fit at all well. I also replaced the engine mounts and need to order a longer vacuum tube for the dizzy/carb. Just tweaking and refitting bonnet assembly then test run round the block to see what falls off!

Can't wait to actually give it a few runs, I'm still crossing my fingers for VSCC Prescott on 2-3 August.

Thanks everyone

Iain