Extra throttle return spring on Vitesse 1600

Bobtaylor

I am in the process of fitting a new exhaust, I took off the engine side panel to gain better access to the manifold nuts . I found the spring as in the photo on the end of which was the white wire which was hooked under the side panel. The other end is hooked onto the throttle linkage. It does not look as if it should be there. Does anyone else had a similar arrangement?

Also on the side panel there is a small bit bolted to the inside with a cupped end, I have tried to take a pic, any ideas what this if for?

Hope you are surviving the lockdown.

Bob

STP84378.JPG

STP84379.JPG

STP84380.JPG

On the GT6 the spring hooks under the front outrigger and gives a bit more 'feel' to the acclerator; it will work without it but you're putting all of the strain on the carb springs. I don't know if the Vitesse has the same kind of pedal. Having a size 11 foot, I put a heavier spring on that gives more resistance, as previously the accelerator felt very insubstantial. 

That hook setup is very close to the one I have:

spring.jpg.2dad76af783009e0b3f0d3b9d2233d9f.jpg

OK, the white plastic wire is probably from a coathanger, but I have done the same (coathangers are dead useful, make ideal replacements for the little pins that retain teh window winders when they disappear, but I digress) as the springs and hooks are often missing.

Ah, I see Colin has posted a pic (OK, GT6  but essentially the same)

55 minutes ago, clive said:

OK, the white plastic wire is probably from a coathanger, but I have done the same (coathangers are dead useful, make ideal replacements for the little pins that retain teh window winders when they disappear, but I digress) as the springs and hooks are often missing.

Ah, I see Colin has posted a pic (OK, GT6  but essentially the same)

Try do it with a plastic coat hangar and see what happens.🤪

As a sparkie I use wire coat hangars all the time for fishing cables out of walls but they are becoming a rarity these days. I also use them for hanging painted heavy car parts from the ceiling of my garage, for light parts I use welding/tie wire.

the cupped clip was a fairly std  pipe support clamp in the old days 

if theres no pipes in the zone its a spurious addition , maybe an attempt to anchor the spring at some time 

do make sure the bush in the bulkhead is ok, if its not avail a piece of heater hose makes a good replacement 

you can slip it and wrap on the shaft , add a tywrap if needed 

Pete

47 minutes ago, ahebron said:

Try do it with a plastic coat hangar and see what happens.🤪

As a sparkie I use wire coat hangars all the time for fishing cables out of walls but they are becoming a rarity these days. I also use them for hanging painted heavy car parts from the ceiling of my garage, for light parts I use welding/tie wire.

No coat hanger wire or milk bottle tops as fuses then!?

Nigel

On 10/04/2020 at 12:16, Colin Lindsay said:

No-one uses them to get into locked cars these days, either... :(

They don`t have to. ALL Moderns need is a laptop, or sometimes just a mobile phone!. And some software, from the "dark net". (That`s called Progress??)👿

• Like 1