GT6 restoration

• 2 weeks later...

Door shell all repaired, skinned, then A panel repaired, fixed door on, adjusted rear wing to get a nice even gap all way down as it was really tight, doors were like this when I got the car, rear wings have been changed in the past and left, I dont know why anyone would do that?

Anyway moved onto rear floor and heelboard, removed all the bodge welding and tar yuk lol  just making panels to weld in now 👍

20200429_175315.jpg

20200430_164609.jpg

2 hours ago, Graham C said:

Very impressive metal work, did you make formers to get the channels or just work it with hammer/dolly and by eye?

Graham

I just stick a cut off bit of 40mm box section in my big vice, draw the sections on where I want them in situ while I trim to fit the section then bash with a ballpane hammer, as long as theres shaped strength to it Im happy but they look ok too, cheers Graham.

Seen a bloke on YouTube use wooden formers and gripped them in a vice, they looked much neater and he used an air chisel

• 2 weeks later...

More work and pics, getting there slowly but surely  front floorpan steel was more tired than I thought so made and welded that in too 😎

Sill getting prepped and painted inside tomorrow before welding it on, after a day and half getting my gaps Im happy with

20200512_113313.jpg

20200504_154918.jpg

20200508_124518.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Brooky, Good progress being made. The rear wheel arch repair is neat and tidy.

Is the bonnet New, as it seems a good fit. Someone was questioning new bonnet fit recently?

Once you have complete the sills, is that the body complete besides painting?

Graham

Hello Graham, got all the other  side to do too yet, door bottom and skin too, then theres the rot in the rear bottoms and inner wing bottoms, rear panel repair or replace. Tailgate opening lip for the seal has rotted too lol, new tailgate needed. Front bulkhead needs investigating but definitely needs attention on the master cylinder panel. Other than that not far off on the tub lol then the chassis 🤣

Bonnet is new, good fit yes I like it and I fitted the hydraulic struts, good price for those, 75 quid posted so well happy.

The old bonnet is going tomorrow so thats the vat paid for on the new one gulp 🤣😎

Just keep doing a bit each day now

That is all you can do is a bit each day, I need to replace the rear end of my GT6 due to a bodged repair/ restoration job. Lucky I purchased a roof section to repair the rear deck. 

Keep going, do you fancy doing another GT6 :)

Just wish I could weld as good as you do. Seem to end up with holes.

Graham

2 hours ago, Graham C said:

That is all you can do is a bit each day, I need to replace the rear end of my GT6 due to a bodged repair/ restoration job. Lucky I purchased a roof section to repair the rear deck. 

Keep going, do you fancy doing another GT6 :)

Just wish I could weld as good as you do. Seem to end up with holes.

Graham

Are you using a gas mig welder? No gas migs are for thicker steel really if not.

It takes time and practice and getting to know how to set the machine etc.

I used to use oxy/acetylene, learned in college during the 80s on a 6 month welding course then city and guilds light vehicle body repairs, couldnt get a job and ended up as a dental ceramist, but kept the car repairs as a hobby, I reckon Ive welded to the moon and back lol.

Anyway I needed to learn the mig welding way, I just watched a few videos on tuition and bit the bullet and bought the equipment then practiced.

Sill going on tomorrow it takes time to prepare and paint everything inside etc

I need to watch more videos, and someone posted a link in another thread which had a lot of interesting information.

"couldnt get a job and ended up as a dental ceramist" that was a big leap and change of direction.

Keep going.

Graham

12 hours ago, Mark B said:

Restoration and panel fit is looking really good. Is that an additional brace you have added to the inner sill 'A' post. Going to be starting on a mk3 Spit restoration shortly.

Mark

Hi Mark

Yes, I thought theres loads of room in there so I had an offcut of a mini door repair section and it fitted straight in so welded it to brace the A post a bit.

Ive been taking my time getting the gaps nice, plenty fettling to each panel etc, the outer sill has had plenty adjustments but its been welded on today finally. The lower B post was a bit thin so I cut that off today and spent a good few hours making a new one but it fits perfectly and prepped and painted inside ready to weld on and fit the rear end sill lower wing repair bit. Ill take a pic tomorrow and upload it

Cheers

7 hours ago, Graham C said:

I need to watch more videos, and someone posted a link in another thread which had a lot of interesting information.

"couldnt get a job and ended up as a dental ceramist" that was a big leap and change of direction.

Keep going.

Graham

Haha yes a complete change of direction, but its worked out nice for me

Practice and more practice welding 👍

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Had a weeks break while I did some diy jobs on our garden fence and built a new rear step  back at the car now. Trial fitting the rear lower valance I discovered Id done the boot floor section 10mm too long so was an easy fix and it fits lovely now  Im repairing other side now before fitting it. Its great just to cut the rust sandwiches out that are thick with black tar lol20200610_121751.thumb.jpg.75824b94bd132d7657c5089bc6bdd4f1.jpg

20200610_121442.jpg

20200610_120934.jpg

20200610_121745.jpg

14 hours ago, Pete Lewis said:

thats good progress , amazing what you find ,  but look fowards to having a runner and some sunshine days out 

Pete

Cheers Pete, yeah I cant wait to drive it, but Im also really enjoying the restoration work 👍🏻

The near side rear coming on now and lower light panel end repair of lower lip cut out and repaired, this has trimmed up nicely and actually looks like a pressed panel again, forgot to take a pic but will later

20200611_165025.jpg

20200612_155949.jpg