GT6 restoration

Nice one Ian 🤣👍🏻😎

I just cut the windscreen drip rail off the n/s as there appeared to be crusty rust along the edge where the door seal sits, its been changed in the past as it was plug welded on  screen knackered underneath so thats getting repaired first, looks ok inside the rest though 👍🏻

Im thinking repair the rear of frame, then think of how to fix the fresh made one. Im sure it could be self tappered on, it offers no real strength. I might do the frame repair in 1.5mm steel and see 🤔😎

Still got the tub on the chassis, Im a while off taking it off yet but no rush 😆

• Like 1

Im thinking more along the lines of being able to paint underneath, which I can with zinc weld through primer. There is no waxoyle in the screen frame and that will help as Ive always painted a car then saturated box sections and roof sections with it. Might just see how many plug    welds I can get away with, they went overboard plug welding the one Ive taken off thats for sure lol.

Maybe glue it like you said and a couple of self tap screws, rivets are a no no unless theyre steel ones 

🤔🤣😎

The method I am using is to use the structural bond with sealed countersunk rivets to pull and hold together the panels until the bond is cured. I will fill the rivet holes with bond and flash over with a sander to smooth off. You can also grind off the interior part of the rivet if you can get to it. The outside, when painted, will look like a standard spot weld, but with the adhesive bonding all touching surfaces, and to a much greater width than a running weld it could be even stronger than welding. However..... even though classed as 'structural', I would not test this out on sills, chassis parts and such like. Hope this helps. I will be posting photos in due course on my thread.

I would also consider Dinitrol instead of Waxoyl for the future. Waxoyl, like Hammerite has fallen out of favour with many

• Like 1

thing is i guess brooky your like me we are trying to make the cars last forever, their gonna be better built than triumph production had time for anyway, i was a maintenence engineer before retiring so my brain thinks of ways to make future maintenence easier too.

• Like 3

Badwolf, yeah Ive heard people like the Dinitrol better than waxoyle as it can creep and doesnt set like waxoyle can. I do like waxoyle though, had a midget for 28yrs prior to the GT6 fully rebuilt that and used waxoyle. I wasnt happy with the repair Id done to a rear wing shortly before selling it and got hold   of a new wing  cut the old one off and the rear wheelarch and inner wings were mint     I guess its how the person who puts whatever you use into sections, how carefully theyve done it, because it was my own car you tend to take your time and ensure it gets to everywhere you want it. This GT6 has had new rear wings 30 years ago and theyve applied waxoyle and probably charged a fair bit for that on the invoice, and only squirted it through the big holes in the rear wing boot area, they might aswell have not bothered lol 🤣

I don't think that the waxoyl of today is the same as it used to be. I used it 40 years ago when it first came out and was marketed by Finnegans, I think that Hammerite was as well. Both have been bought, I think, by Akzo Nobel (Dulux). They took the name and we still buy the name but not the product!!

As for the adhesives mentioned earlier, I have just finished my tests and posted the results on my thread, just in case they are of any use to you. I have a couple of plates to bond on my doors as well as my bonnet.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Brooky said:

Feel better today, door back on after major repair yo top A pillar, just got it off axle stands and now to get better gap with door and bonnet, then on with the sill etc happy day 👍🏻😎

20200721_092448.jpg

20200721_122257.jpg

Looking good 👍 are the cement bags to give more traction😀

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Started repairing front floor with strengther where it fits to the outrigger, all welded up, started cutting the old A pillar bottom/inner sill out to fit new one and made a few sections to repair lips etc but.....in the garden now enjoying this lovely weather, enjoy people 😎

Bit more done today, repaired the hinge plate by drilling out bigger, grinding my nuts lol and pressed into plate welded on the rear, neanderthal I know but Ive no tap set lol

Started cutting rest of the rust sandwich floor edge out too

20200806_114146.jpg

20200806_115127.jpg

20200806_122840.jpg