GT6 restoration

10 hours ago, Brooky said:

I am thinking about a Type 9 gearbox as its the cars downfall the standard box

A few years ago on the RBRR there were two retirements due to gearbox failure. Both were Type 9 conversions. None of the standard boxes had any trouble.

That's not unique. Last year's Cambridge group Scottish tour saw only one failure, which was of a Type 9 gearbox (admittedly in a highly modified car with a Ford engine that would have destroyed a GT6 gearbox).

As Clive says, unless you're seriously uprating the engine, a well-rebuilt standard box is the way to go.

• Thanks 1

Ah, thankyou for all the input on the gearbox. It was only an idea up to now as Ive previously owned a midget that I converted to type 9 with Frontline conversion kit. It transformed the car to be able to cruise nicely on the motorway, which we put to full use in the later years of owning it (28), only sold it as lost interest and bought the GT6.

My gearbox has overdrive so, with your advise, once Ive got the body off the chassis in the next few months Ill probably have it rebuilt/upgraded, Thankyou 😎

• 2 weeks later...

Covid has killed my trade, only doing 3 half days a week so got a job at the sorting office with Royal Mail, 3pm to 8pm to save my sanity lol, only for Christmas period but its sparking life back into me to do more on the GT6. Will be back on it now Ive completed first week and hope you all have a good break 👍🏻😎

• 1 month later...
9 minutes ago, Brooky said:

Lol my garage was a shit tip before this picture, grinder dust everywhere but thats usually normal haha

I always go outside to grind or use a cutting disc, and have a small 'Workmate' folding bench to do it on.     

This helps keep the workshop cleaner, but leaves the drive with a red stain for weeks!

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/01/2021 at 10:55, JohnD said:

I always go outside to grind or use a cutting disc, and have a small 'Workmate' folding bench to do it on.     

This helps keep the workshop cleaner, but leaves the drive with a red stain for weeks!

You cant keep taking a car outside though to cut stuff off especially in our lovely uk weather

• 4 weeks later...

Well, after 6 days in hospital with the dreaded covid 19, A month off work, cant believe I didnt do anything for a whole month 😳

Finally getting better and managed to get back in the garage and stripped the OS A pillar, yep just as knackered as the NS was, few repairs to the screen metal then Ill make the closing section and weld up, then make the screen gutter piece, happy day on Sunday. Glad to be better 😎

20210307_150723.jpg

There's a thought. When is it safe to paint after having C-19? Yes, we will all wear a vapour mask and other ppe, but there will be residual vapour etc hanging around for quite some time and you have to take off the mask eventually. Same with aeros, brake/carb cleaner etc. Any ideas?

On 10/03/2021 at 09:35, Badwolf said:

There's a thought. When is it safe to paint after having C-19? Yes, we will all wear a vapour mask and other ppe, but there will be residual vapour etc hanging around for quite some time and you have to take off the mask eventually. Same with aeros, brake/carb cleaner etc. Any ideas?

No idea, but if I paint anything I usually wear a 3M industrial mask with filters, disposable mask but last for ages. When Ive painted a car or scooter, the garage is just mist can hardly see even with extractor on and Ive never smelled a thing, thats usually cellulose, never take it of till Im outside in fresh air. After covid though, cant see there being a difference unless your running around a car as its more an out of breath side effect, luckily dont think Ive got that too bad, seem to be getting better anyway 😎👍🏻

5 hours ago, Badwolf said:

Brooky - Just take take care, and that goes for everyone else who may have had this awful virus.

Cheers pal, just glad to be still here, the doctors and nurses especially were fantastic 😎

• 3 weeks later...

Yeah Id thought of leaving them off but I dont think the car would look right so putting them on, at least I know the frame inside and under the drip rails is painted. The roof edging is going on too, so will match the look, can only protect it as much as I can but will probably last.longer than I will anyway lol

Good luck with yours 👍🏻

• 2 weeks later...
4 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Brilliant work; how did you make that section? I'm trying to learn so all tips welcome.

Cheers Colin, as the first photo, I usually draw round what I want to cut out, and in this case work out if I can get to each cut with the grinder, had to cut some of the pattern from under the dash lol, then I basically draw round it on new steel, making it slightly larger, theres only one bend in it at the longest edge, easy bit done, then I draw free hand the shaped raised sections so it looks right, some measurements here and there from some edges to get it looking something like. Then I put either a piece of 5mm steel bar in my big vice or a 40mm/3mm thick box section and use the edges of the pieces as a dolly to bash the shapes into the plate with a heavy hammer that has an edged end one side of it. Takes time lol  think monkey bashing a coconut with a rock, that was me earlier on lol 🤣

Ill take some photos of what I use and post up tomorrow etc 😎