GT6 restoration

I agree with Mathew. The safety requirements for spraying 2k are well documented throughout this forum and others. I used it by 4" gloss roller and brush to avoid the problem of spray damage to anything especially my lungs. Even then I used a decent 3M vapour mask and skin protection. I also have plenty of space but living nearer to people and animals can be a real problem especially when spraying or using volatile chemicals like thinners etc.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Howdy, back at it at last after revamping our rear garden for my Mrs and having a car port put up then joining to my garage. Just a few repairs to do 😎

I cut the top part of tunnel section away, didnt like the rust sandwich development, just got to put the strengthener section on once Ive made it, finished for today as my Mrs needed me on digging duty lol

Happy days

20210704_155852.jpg

20210704_160048.jpg

IMG-20210704-WA0004.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Shultz blacked the underside Saturday mornin, absolutely stinks that stuff and very sticky lol but looks fantastic, very pleased with result. If anyone wonders how much you need for the body tub 4 litres is just enough, put it on nice and thick after seam sealing all welded seams etc.

Stripped the rear end of chassis earlier and will be wire wheeling it all tomorrow 😎 thats getting etch primed and blacked, then put body tub back on after rebuilding all suspension with superflex bushes and redoing brake pipes

Yeah, plan to get more wire brushing done at weekend, done the most fiddly bit the rear, lots it wont get into but etch priming and blacking soon as its done then I can get putting it back together,  it will be coated in ACF50 afterwards too 😎

Over engineered? why do I need a nut, corrosion twice as effective in holding things together! Ha!

I assume the long bolt came out with persuasion , I never understood why all models except Rotoflex Vitesse had one long bolt wheras the Vitesse had two short bolts, it doesn't seem an access issue as it's located out of the transmission axle/rotoflex alignment.

8 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

Over engineered? why do I need a nut, corrosion twice as effective in holding things together! Ha!

I assume the long bolt came out with persuasion , I never understood why all models except Rotoflex Vitesse had one long bolt wheras the Vitesse had two short bolts, it doesn't seem an access issue as it's located out of the transmission axle/rotoflex alignment.

No, the bolt came out no problem as did all other nuts and bolts on everything else, no heat needed couldnt believe it lol

8 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

yep the long bolt on the daughters Spit Mk2 came out OK when I replaced the diff siilarily a friends 1500 Spit, but this is Aus and heavy rusting isn't a big issue. also copper slip ensures future maintenance is easy.

Yep I always use copper grease rebuilding stuff like that, it must have had a smear back in 1990 as it literally pushed out as I turned the ratchet. Strange thing with this car is it had 10k spent on it, full bare metal respray, only 20k miles put on it then apparently parked and not used, so I was thinking has it got a fault like they thought the diff was making a rattling noise and its been this bolt rattling etc?

1 hour ago, Mathew said:

Nice and clean. Alot nicer when you haven't got to work in rust! Hopefully assembly will be straight forward. 

Just waiting on the superflex bushes, wire brush the drive train and coat with ACF50 😎

• 4 weeks later...

Diff checked, its mint no play anywhere, new seals, gasket fitted and joints sealed with aircraft sealant, brilliant sticky stuff, never had a leak on anything with that stuff. Bolts all torqued up correctly and copper greased. A bit nearer to getting the body back mounted

20210816_173055.jpg

• Like 2

On 23/08/2021 at 16:10, Mathew said:

Lucky to get them apart, i have some i have to decide which bit to sacrifice! Still have a few of each spare so don't have to decide yet.

Should come apart easily enough, just time consuming, took a whole afternoon to cut them each side ( presuming you have an air saw but seen some electric ones for around 25 quid)

Yup its a big un lol,

Ive left the vertical link bushed joint loose till the body is back on to sit the suspension in the correct position before torquing up tight.

The other bushes are sleeved and greased up so should move as they normally would 😎👍🏻

Cheers Mathew, it doesn't seem to have taken that long really, waiting for parts this last month has seemed longer but thats a lesson learned now, things that are out of my hands, Ill really allow lots more time to order stuff before Im ready for the work. 😎👍🏻

18 hours ago, Brooky said:

My Mrs just helped me get the body back on the chassis and bonnet back on

Lucky you! I can't even get mine to hand me a spanner without hours of prior notice and lots of complaining.

That's excellent progress. Are you going to keep the original colour? (French blue?)

• Haha 1

Colin, my Mrs loves the old motors, always gives me a lift if I need help lol, youll have to buy her more flowers lol 😎

Yes, its staying blue, although the original colour is brown, then it was done red, then a full inside out job blue (apart from the steel under the dash thats still brown, awful colour) lol

I always understood/thought it was the quickest way to a divorce was to get SWMBO to operate the pedal when bleeding the brakes or clutch, very challenging, down, sorry I let it off, BUG88r! Start Again!

Eons ago I had trouble starting the lawn mower so I got the wife to hold the plug to earth with a screwdriver whilst I pulled the starter cord, I told her to hold the driver by the handle, but her finger was in contact with the shaft ZAPP! well you'd think I had tried to kill her. My close friend did similar with a car, but thinking the plug lead was insulated got his wife to hold the lead, similar reaction, but she's a lot more vocal than my wife being a British Sgt Major's daughter, she may be small but can she bark!

• Haha 1