Broken spark plug

Woody2000

Hi just started on a new project  triumph 2000 whilst trying to remove sparks plugs after 10 years I have got 5 out !! But the last one snapped leaving just the ring then decided to use a hardened steel reverse thread to remove it but that snapped as well !!!!!!!!!!!

Question  can I remove the cyclinder Head but leave the carbs and exhaust manifold to take to a local garage ??? 

I've no experience of the 2000 but suspect it's like any of the 2 litre engines; you can remove the head with the exhaust manifold simply unbolted and hanging in place on the exhaust, but obviously the carbs are on the inlet manifold and this assembly will require removal as well before you can get down to the bare head. Just remove those and set to one side. It's simple enough and with the head off you can use the time to tidy other things, as you'll be replacing the head gasket and possibly manifold gasket etc. In the meantime help whoever will be doing the removal by using plenty of penetrating oil round the snapped plug, it will give it a head start. With the head off you'll have access to the underside of the plug so possibly heat in this area may free it up, but don't damage the head.

If you have any problems, post - if you haven't done this before you'll need a good workshop manual for the sequence of removing or tightening head studs plus the torque settings of the other bolts and nuts. Take plenty of photos before you start - they're a great aide-memoire when you come to replace things.

One important thing for this present time - if you've got a garage that is currently open and will do the work, great, but if you're buying replacement parts order in good time as both supply and carriage is erratic at present.

Pete L has a 2000 so he with other big saloon owners will be able to advise in more detail.

Another side-note if you've not done this before: in the process of removing the head you are going to take all the push-rods out. Keep them in order and remember which end was first, because you should really replace them in the same positions. This is even more true of the cam followers but you probably won't need to disturb them.

And you will need to remove all the head studs to get the head off, unless you are very very lucky.

Years ago I had to do a head gasket change on my vitesse, pulled the head with all manifolds/carbs on, new gasket and bolted back up ready for work the next day. Not sure I could do that now.... a head with manifolds is very heavy and awkward. 

You CAN remove the head without removing the manifolds but I'd question WHY you'd want to do it that way.  Personally I'd just commit to removing the manifolds as you make access to everything a lot easier, the big lump of metal you need to lift off a lot lighter, access to 'persuade' the head to separate from the block better, and the big lump of metal you need to lift off a lot better balanced and easier to handle.  I'd also imagine the machine shop will need to stip them off to do any machining work and will the machine shop take loads of photos to ensure they can put it back together correctly, or just give it back to you as a pile of bits and leave you trying to guess...?

I've recently removed/overhauled/refitted (almost) my gearbox and dropped the manfolds for that (snapped an exhaust downpipe stud) and it's reasonably straight forward.  Mine's an HS4 car so:

1. Split exhaust at manifold/downpipe connection - 3x 3/8" nuts.
  2. Remove air filters - 3x 5/16" bolts.
  3. Remove carbs from inlet manifold - 8x 5/16" nuts, 2x 3/8" bolts, throttle and choke cables.  Keep a good hold on the carbs as you remove and all the linkages will stay together.
  4. Remove inlet manifold - 3x 5/16" nuts, (a few) 3/8" nuts (but not the end ones that just hold the exhaust manifold at this point).  Lift the inlet manifold free.
  5. Remove exhaust manifold - either 2x or 4x 3/8" nuts (the end ones and the middle ones if they aren't shared with the inlet manifold - I forget right now). Lift away the exhaist manifold.

Is this a Mk1 or Mk2 ??  the mk1 needs the manifolds off to get at the head  nuts/studs 

really you need to disconnect the manifolds its too heavy with all its attachments and heaving on a manifold when the studs are corroded many fail something

there is a good following of problems with stud corrosion makes head lifting nigh on impossible ,  they can really hold on , so hence the idea to get a stud box and remove the studs before removing the head  you can get these from most places , you can sometimes adda double nut lock the two nuts may work

i use   https://whiterosetools.com/products/bluespot-impact-stud-bolt-extractor-remover-3-8-drive-6-12mm?variant=31598689026110&currency=GBP&utm_campaign=gs-2019-11-07&utm_source=google&utm_medium=smart_campaign&gclid=CjwKCAjwp-X0BRAFEiwAheRuiwiayLL5B4AOYFlHqLEvaOiuDii89J_ZfewaWM474wq1Rlvea4QgbhoCPjgQAvD_BwE

pete

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 16/04/2020 at 20:42, Woody2000 said:

Hi just started on a new project  triumph 2000 whilst trying to remove sparks plugs after 10 years I have got 5 out !! But the last one snapped leaving just the ring then decided to use a hardened steel reverse thread to remove it but that snapped as well !!!!!!!!!!!

Question  can I remove the cyclinder Head but leave the carbs and exhaust manifold to take to a local garage ??? 

Hi,

What brand of sparkplug?

Cheers,

Iain.