mk1 rear tub to mk2 rotaflex suspension

david diamond

hi I'm currently restoring a mk2 vitesse convertible i could only find a 1966 herald rear tub i have the hand brake cable guide to weld in but do i have to modify the lip on base of inner arch so rotaflex drive shafts don't foul on floor/inner arch i remember reading something years ago about folding lip over thanks for any help 

thanks for quick response just took cover off chassis and checked spring is above drive shaft so shaft cant touch body work i thought i read somewhere you have to modify mk1 body tub to use on rotaflex chassis i have put shock absorber conversion on rear so shocks will not be a problem thanks for your help   

I think hand brake cables are the only difference,i have a MK 1 Vitesse that i converted to CV via Roto,just needs very careful setting up of the handbrake as the suspension movement affects the tension on the cables.I think MK 2`s are body mounted to compensate?.

Steve

The Service Training Manual has a little caveat on page 6:

"The Vitesse chassis is not interchangeable with the Herald chassis due to differences in bonnet mounting and overrider brackets etc."

This is the Mk2 Herald chassis and they don't mention the rear, only the front end where there is such an obvious difference in the 1200 and the Vitesse, so it would appear the rear end is okay.

The body lip is quite pronounced right around the wheel arch, and on this Herald tub I'm currently working on it was removed completely but on one side only, for some strange reason; but very visible on the other side. It's been patched in that area and you'd think the PO would have added that extra bit to match.

DSCF6752.jpg.479b61e01a599a8f8c8e3af5cce7ef2b.jpg DSCF6753.jpg.2ad036c3813c8ca33651e68583f6c57b.jpg

If you are replacing the lever arm shock absorbers on a Rotoflex Vitesse with the Rear Shock Absorber conversion kits like the one the TSSC and other places sell (i.e. https://shop.tssc.org.uk/product/rotoflex-rear-shock-conversion or https://rimmerbros.com/Item--i-GRID008052 ) then you MAY need to cut away a small section of the body lip to clear the bracket - it all depends on how many packing washers you use to space the body tub off the chassis. 

The same goes for fitting the kit on a GT6.

If you are also converting the drive shafts to to use CV joints instead of Rotoflex donuts then you can fit handbrake cable guides to the chassis rather than the bodytub.

For Rotoflex cars the brackets were fitted to the body tub so that the cable cleared the rotoflex donut.

45 minutes ago, KevinR said:

If you are also converting the drive shafts to to use CV joints instead of Rotoflex donuts then you can fit handbrake cable guides to the chassis rather than the bodytub.

That`s true up to a point,it`s what i did as  i said on my earlier post.But you have to set the handbrake cable quite precisely so that the travel of the suspension doesn`t affect it,

as the suspension travels upwards,the handbrake gets tighter so may drag if not set properly.After some time setting mine up it usually shows really good operation on the MOT rollers.It`s lowish anyway so travel is reduced.

Steve

thanks for all the info it is the original mk2 vitesse chassis and bonnet i will see how i get on with rear tub when i start putting body on chassis will be a while yet kevin R this is the same conversion kit as links so i will cut lip on inner arch and and fold it over thats what i must have read long time ago when i rebuilt chassis