Vitesse additional door seal

daverclasper

Hi. Car has extra seal running from top of 1/4 light down to door stop thingies (I understand the curve of A post and corresponding curve of door can be prone to leaking at this area).

This seal is a about a 1/2" wide strip with a sort of hollow diamond shape profile (when viewed end on) running along it's edge (if this makes sense).

These were glued to windscreen piller and A post, sort of behind main seal. These have come unglued, so can't see original position, ie, just kissing main seal or sort of underneath it, to pad it out a bit maybe?.

Main seals are correct profile, not the bubble type.

I think I read somewhere these seals were original fitted, though can't find any info on them now.

Trying to cure leaky doors which could be coming from this area.

Any info great, please.

Cheers, Dave 

I do remember having those on my Vitesse but left them off after it's resto. My doors seal well, although I do try to avoid torrential rain, and I put it down to spending a lot of time getting the doors/quarter lights as far forwards as possible and then bending the seal flange in/out as required to ensure the rubber is in contact with the door all the way round. It means the doors need a bit more effort to close but stops leaks and reduces wind noise.

I've always known them as a P-seal and they were fitted to quite a few of our cars to stop water and wind getting in round the quarterlight frame; plus to stop the frame rattling. They're just glued to the windscreen pillar. You don't really notice if they're not there - visually I mean - but they do help with rattles.

Cheap to buy if you need them:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/TRIUMPH-Spitfire-TR6-Herald-WINDSCREEN-PILLAR-P-SEAL/192147136166?hash=item2cbcdc9ea6:g:dzwAAOxy8HlSbGOH

Cheers guys, have saved the ebay link, that looks that the kiddie I'm on about.

Haven't had carpets in for ages, until I can get it better.  It's sometimes parked up on cliff tops etc  with storms a raging. One morning (why are storms always at night?) there was an inch of water in one footwell.

Have been looking at bending the flange/pulling the seal out a bit etc as well in some areas.

Do you think if I talced the seal, closed the door and where it may have not left deposit on door/not disturbed the talc on rubber, may be the dodgy areas. Will also run bit of thin sturdy plastic cellophane between it to find any free moving areas?. 

Ta 

Make sure you've got the door position as good as you can get it before any adjustments to the seal flange. I just slid plastic around to find the loose points and my doors are so tight the glass and quarter light deflect slightly on closing...

Is this the door seal or the p-seal? One long-tried and tested tip is to slide a length of plastic tubing down the inside of the seal - on the door seals it goes in through the air holes that are dotted along the length - and this bulks the seal out enough to make it a tighter fit. 

most water comes in from behind the door card and runs inside the door seal, then there is the holes for check straps , which have their own seal 

then are the hinges sealed , should have a gasket on the bolt face,   and so on ,    if you blow some talc  around the inside the rain will leave a trickle trace of where its entering 

saves you sleeping in the car with a torch 

Pete

1 hour ago, Pete Lewis said:

most water comes in from behind the door card and runs inside the door seal, then there is the holes for check straps , which have their own seal 

then are the hinges sealed , should have a gasket on the bolt face,   and so on ,    if you blow some talc  around the inside the rain will leave a trickle trace of where its entering 

saves you sleeping in the car with a torch 

Pete

Surely the plastic sheet in the door should drain any water getting in down to the door drain holes which are outside the seals?

yes if its all intact  the sheet on the bottom of the drop glass is normally lying in the door bottom, the plastic on the back odf the door car only protects the card

its not sealed to casing , only moderns have a fully sealed skin under the door cards , triumph never used much as far as i remember

the good puff of talc will soon show where and improve the smell  into the bargain

Pete

One item often removed during work is the shower curtain. This is fixed to the base for the window channel. basically where the glass fits onto the winding mechanism and hangs down between the door card and the inner part of the door. It deflects the water away from the door card towards the drain holes.

Dave

9 minutes ago, Steve P said:

How many of our cars have clear drain holes?.

My Vitesse leaked more from the hood front rail when i was on the RBRR.

Also because i so rarely use the hood,its shrunk around the rear side bits.

Steve

Now cleaning out those drain holes should be a yearly routine maintenance job if you want to avoid rusty bottoms!