Vitesse original wheels.

Bobtaylor

HI, I have an almost stock Vitesse 1600, except that it had Herald 3.5" rims when I bought it. I have since fitted 4.5" spitfire wheels but would really like the correct 4.5" steel wheels as would have been fitted originally.

With so many cars sporting minilites and other types of aftermarket wheels I am hoping that someone has a set of 4 or 5 they would like to sell.

Cana

any one help?

Cheers

Bob

Hi, one pic shows the original wheel the second with the spitfire wheel. Both tyres are 155 , but the external measurement of the spitfire tyre is almost 1' more than the original. I can therefore only deduce that the original is 3.5" although my workshop manual says that vitas 1600 were fitted with 4.5" rims.

I would prefer to re fit original style wheels, but 3.5: is just a bit too skinny!

STP84320.JPG

STP84383.JPG

I am quite happy to refurb an old set of wheels. With so many cars having aftermarket wheels I would have thought that there would be loads of original 4.5" rims lying around.

Maybe people are hanging on to them in case that want to revert to originality?

I am sure some will come up eventually.

Bob

10 minutes ago, Bobtaylor said:

Not quite. I have a pair sitting in my shed but I'm planning to refurb the Vitesse's ones eventually and I'll probably pick the best five from the seven in total. The two in the shed are already the least good of the seven I had, because five of them got refurb'd for the Spitfire (reverting to original from the Mk3 GT6 wheels it had).

At one stage I had lots of wheels lying about, maybe two dozen or so, then sold a lot off or gave them away; sadly I forgot to check them and ended up giving away mismatched sets of 4.5s and 3.5s - it was hard to tell with the tyres on and I just grabbed the nearest. I had to buy one 4.5j to make up a set for my GT6 from Chic Doig and it wasn't cheap - he'll have them, as will most of the breakers, but they're more sought after than the 3.5s and the price will reflect that.

I was lucky enough to buy a full set of 4.5s at Stafford for £40, and they're going on the Herald, but that was a lucky one-off and I snapped them up on sight.

At present I have seven or eight 3.5s, both narrow and wide slot but obviously want a full matching set of four, and this lockdown thing has scuppered most of the shows and autojumbles which I would advise as the first place to look.

Easiest way to tell is to place a coin on the lip of the wheel - a 1p overhangs on the 3.5 but sits nicely edge to edge on the 4.5 in the photo. 

DSCF6738.jpg.3e9c5fe87697a33fbae7b8a1089a57d2.jpg.34bc937738bbfad8e211bee05b2771bb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Bob

I have a set of steel wheels from my triumph/Vincent hurricane car, not sure what theyre off but I have a photo of it and it measures 5.5" from outer edge of rim to other outer edge! They will need restoring though. they are 13"

Let me know if they are suitable

cheers colin

20200430_143720.jpg

On ‎21‎/‎04‎/‎2020 at 10:54, Bobtaylor said:

I am quite happy to refurb an old set of wheels. With so many cars having aftermarket wheels I would have thought that there would be loads of original 4.5" rims lying around.

I am sure some will come up eventually.

Bob

Hi Bob see my above post!