Sound deadening the rear tub

ahebron

Verticals are 3mm

Floor and  hump are 5mm

Black sections are not stuck down as the floor has drain holes in these areas.

I have an unhealthy dislike of carpet underfelt and moisture absorbent sound deadening especialy in cars like Triumphs that can and will leak so I will always use a non absorbent when I can. And I dom not like the plastic bags triumph stuck behind the panels

insulation Vitesse, rear btub.JPG

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

I have to consider what to use in the Herald when I get to that stage. Various materials have come to my notice. Including something called "DoDo Dead Mat" and a product on Amazon "Noico". As well as "Dynamat".?

Anyone got personal experience of use of any of this product?.

Pete

46 minutes ago, dougbgt6 said:

Along with quite a few others on here I used "Silent Coat". It works very well.

Doug

Silentcoat , excellent product , easy to apply , cheaper than Dynamat , bought mine from Amazon 

Paul 

Hi

11 hours ago, Graham C said:

I recently purchased Noico, easy to apply seemed good quality. Applied it to the gearbox tunnel. Only taken the car for a short test drive but seems to work.

I brought the 2 mm thickness.

Graham

That`s interesting, as it is substantially cheaper. (£1.30/sg/ft versus £2/sq/ft). On current offer price?.

Are these insulations applied to Bare metal of Painted surfaces?. I am looking to paint the whole interior, once the Re-fabrication is complete and seams/welds sealed.

I applied it direct to a plastic gearbox tunnel. It appeared very sticky when you removed the backing paper. I would image you can apply it to painted surfaces if the paint was sound.

I purchased it as it was cheap, seemed to have good write ups. People say that sound proofing works other say not.

Like I said not run the car that much but I am impressed. 

I may use the surplus in the boot as I have wheel barrow exhaust on a GT6☺️

Graham

11 hours ago, Graham C said:

I may use the surplus in the boot as I have wheel barrow exhaust on a GT6

I have just fitted out the boot on mine, with the same exhaust, with 2mm Silentcoat and even after 35 years as a gunnery officer could tell the difference on an 'essential' journey!

Dick

Graham,   I certainly did but did not remove the aluminium fuel tank fitted last year; however I put some deadening on the base of that before fitting it.  Interestingly the sound deadening in the boot area seemed to make a greater difference than that on the seat floors or bulkhead.  Dick

2020 Apr 1.JPG

• Like 1

Pete,  apologies for the tardy reply.  I think you are correct, despite the spare wheel being attached to the floor.  There is a lot of 'plain' metal in the body panels along with a drum (fuel tank) that, if not full, certainly clangs when tapped.  Dick

23 hours ago, Dick Twitchen said:

Pete,  apologies for the tardy reply.  I think you are correct, despite the spare wheel being attached to the floor.  There is a lot of 'plain' metal in the body panels along with a drum (fuel tank) that, if not full, certainly clangs when tapped.  Dick

Hi.

Maybe applying some to the Fuel tank would help too?. As Mine is out pending repair to the Shell that could be an option?.

Pete

3 hours ago, Graham C said:

, a patch on each large side panel.

Graham, Agree with that logic; if you do a 'tap' test with a knuckle the sound changes and it is is fairly easy to identify where the deadening needs to go as a priority.  That was the approach I took on the floor pan under the seats. 

• Like 1

Hi

Most covering will make a difference, It`s a question of level.

I used to "roadie" for Festivals, and one place we used was literally a "Barn" on Pickering Showground. The only way we could get a decent sound with least back echo, was to drape the entire walls with Heavy Curtaining. 2-1/2tons of it!. took 4 days to put up and take down! including the stage and lighting.

Pete

• 5 months later...
On 02/05/2020 at 20:18, Graham C said:

I recently purchased Noico, easy to apply seemed good quality. Applied it to the gearbox tunnel. Only taken the car for a short test drive but seems to work.

I brought the 2 mm thickness.

Graham

I`ve trawling for days to find this old post.!!. even posted a new "request" for opinions!!. The reviews of Noico seem to indicate that it had a "Rubbery" odour?. Have you noticed this at all?. The Noico 80mil (2mmthick?) seems to get a thumbs up aside from that.

Pete.

Most of these adhesive damping mats are examples of CLD (Constrained Layer Damping) products.  They work by increasing the mass of a panel, and dissipating vibration energy as heat.  The gooey material is usually either butyl rubber or a bituminous material.  The latter is cheaper, but has sort of an asphaltic odor.

CLD products vary in thickness, where thicker products are generally more effective.  Also more expensive.

Ed

On 15/05/2020 at 05:57, PeteH said:

Hi

Most covering will make a difference, It`s a question of level.

I used to "roadie" for Festivals, and one place we used was literally a "Barn" on Pickering Showground. The only way we could get a decent sound with least back echo, was to drape the entire walls with Heavy Curtaining. 2-1/2tons of it!. took 4 days to put up and take down! including the stage and lighting.

Pete

I soundproofed an old room above a garage for a music room / recording studio and put four-inch Kingspan insulation all round the walls, plastered over that, insulated the floor between the joists, and carpeted the flooring I put over that. You should have been able to shake the walls with no sound being audible from outside... so imagine my disappointment when I found that I can play a CD at moderate volume - 3 or 4 out of 10, and hear it in the kitchen half a house away. I think the sound is travelling along the joists and very audible from the ceiling in some rooms, or if you put your ear to the floor upstairs. When my daughter works nights I daren't make a sound.

Re vehicle soundproofing - most of the noise in my GT6 comes from the rear / boot area, so I reckon a heavy carpet and underlay, plus a few anti-drum panels, will help somewhat.

59 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I think the sound is travelling along the joists and very audible from the ceiling in some rooms, or if you put your ear to the floor upstairs. When my daughter works nights I daren't make a sound.

Re vehicle soundproofing - most of the noise in my GT6 comes from the rear / boot area, so I reckon a heavy carpet and underlay, plus a few anti-drum panels, will help somewhat.

If you want to properly soundproof a room - let's say, perhaps, a concert hall - then you build that room "floating". No amount of insulation around it will be as effective for sound isolation as just not having any contact between the panels of the room and the world outside it.

In a similar but different way, no amount of carpet and underlay on the hardboard luggage floor will be as effective at blocking out bodywork drumming as something that stops the body panels drumming in the first place. So generous use of "CLD" (dodomat, silentcoat, etc.) on the body panels (boot floor, valance, wings) will pay greater dividends than the thick carpet.