Chinese aluminium radiators

cggs

I've got a Honda Civic jobbie installed on my Vitesse and all good for the last 3 years. There's been threads about the Spitfire version and the only problem noted has been the poor angle of the top connection. It doesn't line up well with the thermostat housing and one guy had it cut off and rewelded....

Mark says,

I know someone who fitted one and he reckons it overcools. 

Err is that no what a rad is supposed t,doo,  cool

and if its cooling moer than the one took off, then maybe the other wernt up t,much,

and he fitted a lower thermostat t,compensate.

If its over cooling after new,n fitted, , then its no the rads fault, its a wrong thermostat still fitted.

ye cant really ev too much re,dundant cooling ability.

Yes I've not understood the logic either - he is a decent old school mechanic but he reckoned he had to block off most of the rad - which to me points to other issues - but I'm not going there 😂

If I'm honest, I don't like the look of them - I'd rather have a black one that looks vaguely like OEM. 

Hi.

Copper is a more efficient conductor of heat, So in theory, the Aluminium Rad would need to have more Wetted surface area?. Currently Copper is more expensive and Heavier than an Alloy Rad.  The drive for weight reduction in modern cars has much to do with it`s use too.

Pete

Oh alright I will then. Copper is a better thermal conductor but aluminium is a stronger metal so the tubes can be made with thinner walls and deeper. The best alloy rads will have tubes that are each 25mm deep which is better than two separate tubes with a space between them. Then there's the fins which are brazed to the tubes in an ally rad which is supposed to give a better thermal transfer than the fixing used in copper units. I believe copper is fighting back on design but so far is way off on price. There I've done it!

• Like 2

I fitted one to my 1500 Herald,fitted fine,the only thing i noticed was that it came with a 16lb cap,also the outlet to the expansion bottle never got hot water through it,i don`t know if that means the neck is right or not.The car never overheated according to the gauge.

Steve

• 1 year later...

one thing that concerns me is alloy is attacked by many blue glycol antifreeze

converting to OAT needs a significant flush as the two  types cause big problems if mixed 

so where from here     you must stick to a glycol thats alloy proofed   the old stuff used to be green for ally 

i have not had to but any for far too long 

Pete

I had one, built I think in India and from a well known Triumph supplier, that began to leak around the outlet from the lower tank.   I'd had it a couple of years, so taking it back would have been pointless, an I took it to a pro radiator repairer.

He showed me that the connector was just brazed onto the rear wall of the lower tank, and said that it should be "brazed through", by being brazed to the front wall as well, with a cut-out inside the tank to allow flow.     Rather than  buy another, that would probably be the same, I bought another alloy rad, made for the Honda Civic R, new for a third of the price!   I reckoned that  it wouldn't matter so much if it was same.     I had to get brackets TiG welded to each side to match the OE, but still it cost less than half an original design.   And it is still in the Vitesse, and works well.

John

I've got a cheap one in my 1966 MGB GT (cos it looks good) and after two years I've noticed a tiny amount of coolant colour appearing at the bottom of the matrix.  But bizarrely no major level loss not any sign ever of wetness.  Perhaps I spilled some coolant and it ran down.  However the ones at £250 or so don't generally get good press among the MGers.   The VERY expensive UK made ones do get good reviews.

Some cars do get extra blanking in winter - the owners say their cars never really get warm.  But I've never had that issue and I run a warm climate thermostat due to the joys of London traffic jams and a mechanical fan.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, avivalasvegas said:

This is the only one I've inspected in person (not my car), with really well engineered connectors

I gave my Vitesse standard rad to Radtec  and asked them to make it in Ali,definitely good quality but it cost £450 a few years ago.

Steve