Vitesse Wiring Specs

paulday

22 hours ago, NonMember said:

I've* also run 1000A through a bit of copper pipe with water running through, but at only 12V so any voltage drop mattered! These days we generally don't bother to water cool as we find 400A is enough.

* OK, technically it was my brother who ran it, I just designed the electronics at the front end.

Hi,

mine, unfortunately, had no silicon. 3 x 80" induction coils were built using 10mm 13mm OD tubing. The water pressure differential was monitored. The three independent coils were shared across 3 ph 480 @ 60Hz. A 40ft container full of capacitors and 3 double pole heavy duty contactors. A 3 Phase water colled choke completed the kit. Lots of 240mm2 cable +_+_+_+_ hooking up the coils.

Cheers,

Iain.

On 26/04/2020 at 18:11, paulday said:

Hi all just a quick question I'm about to rewire the various bits of wiring in my bonnet which is an odd collection of different size colours and types of wiring after 50 years of various owners 'fixes'. What was the original specs for the wiring, size/rating and any recommendations for sourcing wire and connectors in the UK.

Many thanks

Paul

Hi Paul,

The OEM cable is the non-thin-wall stuff. whether you use OEM or modern, a lot of the wires are not fused. I am guessing most of the fused wires were around 2mm2 size?
If you are adding loads, relays & larger thinwall cables are the way to go. Thoughtful additional extra fuses are worthwhile.

I downloaded this catalog and ordered from them.

https://www.vehiclewiringproducts.co.uk/

Cheers,

Iain.

• Like 1