Canley Classics trunnion-less uprights

I’m about to fit a CC trunnion-less kit to my GT6 mk3 and I’m looking for some advice. Quick check tonight and it became apparent that the alignment of the bolt hole in the bottom pivot block is a few thou’ out to the hole in the lower wishbone. I’m happy to ream the parts but, is this what others have experienced? 

Mine also fitted. Is it really too far out to tap the bolt through?

Holes need to snug. You don’t want any slop here.

Once fitted, be aware that the suspension geometry settings may be significantly altered. Camber, caster and toe must be checked and adjusted as needed.

Nick

12 hours ago, ahebron said:

I too fitted them and it all lined up.
Is it out on both wishbones?
Have your wishbones had oval holes repaired?

Adrian

They have been repaired. I fitted the pivot blocks tonight. I knocked an old bolt in from the wrong direction and then chased it out with the new one. All ok now. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 28/04/2020 at 22:44, SpitFire6 said:

Make sure it is really really tight.

Not fun when loose.

No locating mechanism relies on friction.

Tight.

Aaaaaagh! Expletive! So, torqued up the offside to 44 lbs/ft (same as damper bolt) but, on near side, thread has stripped at bolt and/or nut! Of course now it won’t undo and allow me to fit a new bolt too. But why strip anyway? Same torque as damper bolt.  Anyone used a nut splitter on this fastener? There’s only an inch space in there. 

C4EEF30A-2BA9-47DD-8209-89625FF83792.jpeg

E2090CF4-4EED-4A7E-8D1B-1AF8791F89E8.jpeg

12 minutes ago, clive said:

I think I would try a cutting disc, go in from an end and take a slice off the side of the nut without touching the bolt thread. Not as hard as it sounds. Then a small chisel to split the nut

Good idea. You’ve inspired me. I don’t have a cutting disc so  I’m going to chain drill along the nut, along the axis of the bolt. Then I’ll turn it 180 and do the same. Then chisel. I have some more bolts. Thank you. 

15 minutes ago, SpitFire6 said:

Dave is the guy who sells the kit at Canleys. A joke. Sorry.
They need to be very tight. Tight.
Apparently that was too tight? Same size as damper bolts? 

No problem fella. I thought you were referring to Dave CC. The damper bolts are 7/16” UNF too so, as a starting point, I was tightening them to the same. That shouldn’t have been a problem but, it appears to be. However, as my wishbones have been repaired at the trunnions bolt holes (previous owner), I have employed longer bolts so that the unthreaded portion is at the bearing areas, added washers as applicable and the shortened the threaded portion to suit. I’m wondering now if I’ve got the washers wrong and the nut went solid on the unthreaded portion. This damaged the thread rather than torquing out and eventually trashed the nut and pulled all of its threads out, so it can’t turn back off the bolt. 

So if the nut is stripped if you cut the protruding thread part of the bolt off level with the top of the lock nut could you then drive the bolt back thro the stripped locknut? just a thought this way everything is accessible. might work?

Peter T

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Peter Truman said:

So if the nut is stripped if you cut the protruding thread part of the bolt off level with the top of the lock nut could you then drive the bolt back thro the stripped locknut? just a thought this way everything is accessible. might work?

Peter T

Excellent, another potential fix. Thanks Pete. I think that bearing in mind the assistance/advice that you guys give, I shall join the club even though my car is still not on the road. Is this year a Classic Le Mans year? Do the TSSC have Tertre Rouge again? 

58 minutes ago, Adrian Saunders said:

No problem fella. I thought you were referring to Dave CC. The damper bolts are 7/16” UNF too so, as a starting point, I was tightening them to the same. That shouldn’t have been a problem but, it appears to be. However, as my wishbones have been repaired at the trunnions bolt holes (previous owner), I have employed longer bolts so that the unthreaded portion is at the bearing areas, added washers as applicable and the shortened the threaded portion to suit. I’m wondering now if I’ve got the washers wrong and the nut went solid on the unthreaded portion. This damaged the thread rather than torquing out and eventually trashed the nut and pulled all of its threads out, so it can’t turn back off the bolt. 

What do you guys think about the thread stripping? Feasible? 

1 hour ago, Adrian Saunders said:

Hi Adrian

I dont see why you would need to do this with the longer bolts unless the repairs have made to the wishbone have neccessitated the longer bolts
The design of this fitting is very different in operation to the original trunnion which did have a degree of pivot on the bolt which was made worse when the bolt and trunion sleeve became one and would then wear out the wishbone. With this design all you are doing is bolting it in place to make it 'solid' with the wishbone the movement is taken care of with the 'rose' joint , I suppose if you so desired you could weld the joint to the bottom wishbone but fitting the shock would be interesting.

Adrian

8 minutes ago, ahebron said:

Hi Adrian

I dont see why you would need to do this with the longer bolts unless the repairs have made to the wishbone have neccessitated the longer bolts
The design of this fitting is very different in operation to the original trunnion which did have a degree of pivot on the bolt which was made worse when the bolt and trunion sleeve became one and would then wear out the wishbone. With this design all you are doing is bolting it in place to make it 'solid' with the wishbone the movement is taken care of with the 'rose' joint , I suppose if you so desired you could weld the joint to the bottom wishbone but fitting the shock would be interesting.

Adrian

Hi Adrian,
the repair has been facilitated by welding washers onto the wishbone to bolster/replace the original holes. So, as the clamping area has increased In length I’ve endeavoured to improve on the original design intent by ensuring that the unthreaded portion of the bolts is indeed the only area taking the load. I appreciate that the original design (intent) lasts for decades but it is technically flawed and as a mechanical engineer I like to make these improvements. For those not wishing to switch to trunnion-less uprights, the correct length bolts are a viable proposition to a bodged/original solution, not a bad option. 
I am still hoping that I have made a mistake with washer quantities and will be able to replace. 

30 minutes ago, KevinR said:

What tensile strength bolt and nut have you used ?

if they are too low then that might explain the stripped thread

Indeed. As far as I know they are “S” rated. Standard run of the mill bolts from CC as used generally all over the cars. Interestingly, offside ok and near side not. That’s what’s pointing me at the wishbone repairs. 

11 hours ago, Adrian Saunders said:

Good idea. You’ve inspired me. I don’t have a cutting disc so  I’m going to chain drill along the nut, along the axis of the bolt. Then I’ll turn it 180 and do the same. Then chisel. I have some more bolts. Thank you. 

Oh dear. You REALLY do need a grinder.  A cheapy will do fine, make sure it is 4 1/2" (115mm) and get some 1mm cutting discs. Flapwheels are good to use too...

Best £25 too around!