Probably timing!

TRevver

It's low, which seems to me there's a leaking valve that's allowing it to drain back below the filter. It will take a little bit of time - seconds - to fill up so that fuel gets over the filter.

Mine is full to the top with only one bubble at the very top, and stays that way even if the car is off road for weeks or months. How long does it take yours to drain back so far, after the engine has stopped?

It really does depend on when that photo was taken. As Colin says, some of them do drain back but they shouldn't really. On the other hand, my first Vitesse had a strong tendency to generate a substantial vapour bubble - looking very much like that - over twenty minutes of heat soak from stopping the engine. By the morning the bowl would be completely full again as the vapour condensed.

Maybe another daft question but should the grub screw holding the needle on the carb piston face the same direction as the diaphragm tab - I.e with the slots on the bottom surface of the piston pointing directly to the manifold? 
it might be that the diaphragm orientation is wrong in respect of the actual piston?

thanks

the diaphragm has tabs on the inside diameter to control the position on  the piston and and outside tab to control the position of the piston diaphragm assy.

so yes they should be the same orientation

always the two holes in the base of the piston must face /be engine side , a quick top off and look down will show if ok or not

Pete

So both carbs now fully cleaned out and put back together with no signs of any blockages and everything is correctly lined up. No success. 
Fuel is getting to the float chambers when using the mechanical primer on the pump. I should have probably tried it while cranking the car but didn’t have anyone to hold a jar whilst attempting to start and don’t have the push button solenoid, that’s maybe next job.