engine coolant drain plug

Robin

Robin the tap assy unscrews from the block and all  tend use a solid plug now , most of the old taps have broken due not used much,  in the end a plug is not so refined but 

it works, , and then most find the water jacket behind the tap is fully clogged with rust and sand  from the olde days of casting debris .

usually needs a right good poke around with  stiff wire to get any coolant out 

Pete

Out of interest ANG is selling a drain tap - part number 602915A - but says it for a TR. will this fit the vitesse / 2000 as well? Does it need a fibre washer? Or is the general consensus just to fit a plug (HU805) and if so does this need a fibre washer as well ?

On 03/05/2020 at 09:43, Robin said:

Out of interest ANG is selling a drain tap - part number 602915A - but says it for a TR. will this fit the vitesse / 2000 as well? Does it need a fibre washer? Or is the general consensus just to fit a plug (HU805) and if so does this need a fibre washer as well ?

Hi,

I'm sure they are both the same threads. 

The TR one will cost more.

The TR one is of better quality. LOL

Cheers,

Iain.

14 hours ago, SpitFire6 said:

The TR one will cost more.

The TR one is of better quality. LOL

I can hear the sound of tongue hitting cheek.

Or else TR owners just have more money?

Herald early single-bulb sidelights were also used on E-type Jaguars and the GT6 Mk2; you can buy them for the Herald, double the price for the GT6 and add a string of zeros for the Jaguar. All the same unit.

Remember that movie 'Armageddon' where the Russian cosmonaut was trying to make the electronics work by punching them?

"American component... Russian component... all made in Taiwan!"

• Haha 1

On 03/05/2020 at 09:43, Robin said:

Out of interest ANG is selling a drain tap - part number 602915A - but says it for a TR. 

That comes up as 1/4BSPT on my search, so not suitable for the block.

I quite like a tap on the block, so I've gone for a Vapormatic UK, VPE3603 drain tap. This is marketed for Massey Ferguson tractors (I can hear the sharp intakes of breath already). It's 1/2" UNF and needs a sealing washer - I've used a home made copper washer. The tap fits a treat and is pretty much in the same style as the later Triumph part.

David

image20200509_143558129.jpg