Heater Circulation

Neil Clark

The engine and cooling are running perfectly on my Spitfire Mk1 but the water does not circulate through the heater no matter how often I operate the valve mechanism.  The valve is new looking and the pipework seems fine.  The hose from the engine rises above the header tank and does get warm bu the water doesn't seem to get into the heater pipes at all.  Any thoughts please?

13 minutes ago, DanMi said:

a blockage somewhere, I would run a hose pipe through all the pipes until it runs clear

Either a blockage as above, or an airlock. It always helps to raise the front of the car when filling the cooling system (and have heater valve open of course).

Nigel

Air locks happen even on large water transfer mains 1.7mts dia and 18klm between valves, main down for maintenance, on recharge it air locked not even at the highest point, all air bleeds (9in air valves) open, tried a day and a half to break the air lock, eventually had to drain the main and recharge all then went OK no air locks. In review we couldn't determine any action that had created the air lock, on the day Mr. Murphy had decided he'd have fun!!

On my Vitesse I have installed an air bleed in the top heater hose just at the entry to the heater case using a Yorkshire Tee and soldered in 1/2in tail pipes and brass nut in the tee offtake, which obviously has a brass bolt and washer. Reason effective air bleed and I once had a Renault R8 Gordini in Canada which had an air bleed in the heater core for bleeding, seemed good engineering to me.

around every 5 years I'll flush all the external 1/2 in hoses/piping and heater with the house hose, one day I'll probably blow the heater core!!! I'll worry about that when it happens at least the Herald/Vitesse heater is accessible

Peter T

we had vent /bleeds on some trucks as routing can be a bit involved  but the idea of fitting one at the heater highest point is valid and better than cracking a hose connection with hot water spurting about this makes sense .  as a better way of getting the air ...out     no more jacking/ramps   and faffing about 

Pete

15 minutes ago, Nigel Clark said:

Push the knob fully in to open the heater valve. When you look at the top of the heater valve, the cable should be fully extended when the valve is open.

Nigel

Does the Spitfire 4 differ from MK2 & MK3? Never thought about it before.

On mine it's all the way out for maximum heat.

David

image20200506_151544425.jpg

If it's properly built, it's out for hot, in for cold. However, the later controls fitted on MkIV onward are designed to use a different valve. If you fit a MkIV valve to a roundtail Spitfire then your heater control will work backwards as Nigel described.