Lucas H9 horns - restoration or replace?

Lockdown is making work for idle hands and I've just found a huge box of Lucas horns; out of the ten in the picture only the four on the left even click if attached to a battery and there isn't a doot out of any of them. Are these worth stripping down and restoring? Drilling out six rivets will open the case, but is there much inside that's user-serviceable? I've never seen spare parts or any kind of service kit. As with all old bits I'll feel very guilty throwing them in the bin if I don't at least try... 

9E5F7A7E-F6D2-4536-B87F-4ACCB8E80B56_1_105_c.jpg.18f25ef4a99746d37cb4c5fbb944c663.jpg

What modern alternatives are we using? I don't mean Dukes of Hazzard thingies that look like the organ in the Royal Albert Hall and require half the national grid to run them; just two standard spade connectors will do. I can't get out anywhere to see what's on the shelves these days...

I replaced the pair on my 13/60 a couple of weeks ago as only one was working. They were mixed pair so at some point at least one had already been replaced. I just searched the net for a pair that looked sort of period that had spade connectors. The make were Bolk from Mister Auto here in France. They sound loud enough. I had to cut off the old ones though !

I believe they're pretty simple inside and can often be resurrected just by dismantling, cleaning and reassembling. The screw adjuster thing in the middle  top is supposed to set the spring tension against the magnetic force - you "tune" it to maximize the sensitivity and volume. Whether it's worth doing is not for me to say - it depends how bored you are 😉

33 minutes ago, dave.vitesse said:

Colin, the things are been breeding over winter.

Dave

I thought you couldn't breed if the horn didn't work... 😮

Not so much bored, Rob, as guilty about throwing things like this out. All of the top screw adjusters are solid, so might need serious freeing-up at least as a first step. I'll start with the ones that at least click and spark and see how things go.

As a precaution I'll start to look for modern lookalikes, too...

• Haha 2

I'd give it a go - seems a shame to bin them. It's just a coil + diaphram and set of contacts inside. The contacts will probably need cleaning.

There's a small adjustment screw towards the front of the horn ( not the large central screw); the setup procedure in the WSM calls for a 10Amp Ammeter to be conected in series while adjustment is made.

David

• Like 1

As Magnus Magnusson would have said:? I've started so I'll finish.

This one is in quite good nick inside but doesn't click or spark at all. No idea why, as nothing is broken or rusted.

5C0A3C39-CD89-4276-8A51-27BF60AA82F3_1_105_c.jpg.98fbbd968458f4a24246f88979ff9569.jpg

This one does spark and click but you can see why there's no hoot.

42702A5B-F46A-495E-8097-51B75A4A9BC8_1_105_c.jpg.da4c3052115893768b5c9e78fbc2d464.jpg

When I tried to make one out of the two, the bitser neither clicked nor hooted either. I'm doing something wrong again...

My old gaffer when i was an apprentice used to throw a duff horn as hard as he could at a brick wall....... 95% success rate. Just try it with one that does not work?  Anyone else tried this?   Ps, plastic ones shatter on impact !! :(  

Tony.

I’m not as bad as you Colin I only had 3 spares of the original type and they all worked. When the air horn failed recently on the Sprint I fitted two of the Triumph types a Lo & Hi tight fit. Then after starting the car at idle I wondered what the rattle was it’s those big horns hitting the rad overflow tank. 
so I’ll probably fit the smaller and more compact plastic Fiamm snail types I have a Lo tone but need a Hi but reluctant to pay the price so will keep looking, most moderns use these smaller types.

I have stripped the older types down cleaned and oiled them and they have worked again but none of those were as crusty as yours Colin.

Peter T

1 hour ago, thescrapman said:

I was going to suggest banging them with a hammer whilst applying and removing the power.

As for new ones, look for the Nautilus ones

also found this 

https://www.carbibles.com/best-loud-car-horns/

The FIAMM ones look the part; I decided against the PIAA models after seeing the price...

reminds me of horn tests . fit to truck  out heck knows how many yards a way and blow the horns on the basis we couldnt hear any of them decided to buy the cheapest 

had a pair of red hi lo form halfords and they sounded nice tones  and on the vIt6 had some snazzy chromed boat horns ,, yeh   noisy 

not a bleating sheep the one on my Cactus is embarrassing to blow    

im a big fan of the nautilus  self contained air horn   a real blaster 

Pete

Just bought two FIAMM off eBay, ex Mercedes so at £8 they should be good enough. On the GT6 - where the horn clicks until you rotate the steering column (earthing problem?) - the horns are on the inside of the bonnet and bolted through to the space behind the sidelights; I'll put the new ones in there out of sight and leave the old ones in place for the sake of form. 

I have a set of Maserati air horns for the 1200 convertible and they're definitely loud enough.

I still want to get some modicum of success with the old ones, though... top adjusting screws are all seized solid and some of the internals are just solid rust however what I don't get is that they spark, and click, before dismantling; I don't touch the electrics, which are generally good, but on reassembly, or even bench testing the 'points' with a battery connected to the terminals, there's nothing. No spark, no click. Lot of headscratching going on...

6 hours ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I still want to get some modicum of success with the old ones, though... top adjusting screws are all seized solid and some of the internals are just solid rust

Would they be harmed by a vinegar soak for a few days. I have removed heavy, pretty solid rust with this.  

• 2 weeks later...

Vinegar has worked on some of my brake brackets - I left two soaking all week and they've come up very well, but I gave up on the horns and cheated - I bought a pair of FIAMM horns from a Mercedes SLK on the Bay, £8. Just fitted both to the GT6 - it was a poor earth stopping the originals from working, so now all sorted... and they are LOUD! (Sorry, neighbours!)

fiamm.jpg.bd836b6efb1066413c72c27b3138f12c.jpg

On 07/05/2020 at 17:08, dave.vitesse said:

Colin, I did an article in Sept 16 covering the repair of horns. Most can be repaired and reset without the need to replace any parts. Worth a go.

Dave

100_4220.JPG

Picture 9.JPG

I also have a horn problem; mine is blowing the fuse.  Off the car, connected directly to a 12v battery it clicks and the wires get quite hot, quite quickly.

Is there a way to access your Sept 16 article?

What an excellent opportunity to fit something a little more interesting. Triple airhorns are loud and sound great. 

As long as they’re not an alternating tone it’s perfectly legit. In fact the ones I fitted to my Alfa have a switch so they can go from single note to TDF type sound.

Childish but amusing.

Andy S