13/60 fuel pipe route

Dave pb

Hello.

I have a long-standing fuel vaporisation problem.  Car won't start once its hot, and have to leave it for an hour or so to cool down, then all is fine again. At the end of a long run - say 2 or 3 hours, then the car is running very intermittently -  feels like the fuel is only  arriving in small lumpy bits, and I have to keep the accelerator hard down to keep the engine running.

Over time I have replaced the fuel pump, installed a fuel filter,  insulated the metal pipe around the engine with shiny stuff, fitted electronic ignition - all really to no avail.  As a next step I was going to re-route the metal pipe and maybe replace it with a rubber hose. I have read elsewhere that testing has revealed that actually the vaporisation occurs in the manifold (heated of course by the engine block), and thus all these other measures are a waste of time, although I suppose if you can keep the fuel as cool as possible before it reaches the manifold it might help.

So,  does anyone have any other ideas,  and is there a preferred route for the fuel pipe in the engine bay?

Cheers

Dave

Hello Dave,

Do you have a heat shield in situ ??

I had exactly the same situation with my Vitesse and the heat shields solved the problem.

A decent quality fuel hose such as Gates Barricade, R14 or a minimum of R9 which provides a decent internal wall thickness - especially R14 will help the cause.

If that fails, then a re-route is a sound option.

Regards.

Richard. 

13 /60 do not   have a  history of  real  vaporisation 

sounds more like a starvation problem  .

yes a rubber feed hose does take on less heat than a metal one but

have you replaced the small hose on the top of the tank these get ignored and go hard and suck air instead of fuel 

any messing with fuel lines is very likely to make the dreaded rubber slivers , small slices of hose made when inserting the metal tubes   these float about and obstruct the  back of  the float needle valve .

what is the state of the carb , if hot start problems point to the basic  setting is on the rich side .

the fact you have changed a number of things with no solution is a classic case of you need to find the real culprit 

or you end up chasing the myths and not finding the root cause 

the  lumpy feeling can be air getting in the supply or a partial blockage ,  

try some of that and let us know 

club shop sell heat shields for the carbs if you wish to try that

Pete

Hi

A heat shield is also on my list of things to try, thanks Richard.

I guess you meant "not"  instead of "mote", Pete.   Not sure about that, I have read of a lot of problems with our cars and vaporisation. Anyway, obviously I am prepared to consider and try everything.  Carb setting is worth a go.  Rubber tube worth a look at, although surely that would be a problem either hot or cold starting/running.

Something else to do in lockdown.

Cheers

Dave

===

Lots of people claim to have had fuel vaporisation problems but very few have provided any evidence. It's usually something else.

One thing you can do to test is pour some cold water on things. Get the car into its rough running / not starting condition. Pour cold water over the fuel pipe and pump. If it instantly runs much better then you have vaporisation. If not, you need to look elsewhere.

Hi have corrected the Note   the keyboard is never linked the the grey matter 

i would like a £1 for every car to twiddle has a air leak before the pump or wild mixture settings 

easy  when its hot stick a 2p peice in the adjusting screw slot  and wind it inwards /upwards in 1/2 turns if the idle picks up youre going the right way 

Pete