1976 Spitfire 1500

Thanks for the advice. Tried to fit the vertical link but I had only compressed the springs to 9 inches. Subsequent research advises that the compressed spring length should be 8 inches, would you experts agree with that and is it 8 inches including the top and bottom retaining plates?

It doesn't matter how much you compress it as once fitted it will expand outwards again until stopped by the shock. Even when off the car they bend. This pair was from a Herald, and it's the weight of the car when fitted that will press them inwards and so straighten them. I'll attach a spring-length chart; note there are two lengths for the Spitfire depending on the fitted spring. (Ignore the blue highlighted bit, it stayed on the photo when copied.)

shocks2.JPG.0093ce19ff52599d01e9617c32845be4.JPG  springlengths.jpg.0b41f3f5695869155a24e56a473824a1.jpg

Yes, but you're missing the huge lump of metal called the engine... once you get that in, plus the weight of an occupant, the springs will settle considerably and the top wishbone will lift up off the spring. Once you've everything fitted you'll need to see how it performs on the road and if it's still hitting the spring, then you adjust accordingly. 

52 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

Yes, but

I'm not sure I'd be happy with that. Sure the weight of the engine will pull the geometry around so that they aren't making contact when static. However, once you're driving, enthusiatically, and you crest a hill, the suspension will droop and the contact will be made again, this time as an impact.

How significant is the contact? Is the wishbone nut pressing on the spring at all? Enough to move it, even slightly? If so, I think it needs fixing.

If it's only a marginal contact then you might get away with shaving a tad off the nut, or even rotating the spring a quarter turn. It does look a bit more than that in a couple of those photos. Also, check how it is when jacked up - you may not have the full weight on it but you have some and you want to be sure to fix the worst case.

you can buy 1/2 nuts, I realise that there would be a lot of load on these nuts! Are there different suppliers of these adjustable wishbones as the actual wishbone shown looks very short and there's a lot of adjustable track rod thread showing. any members who have installed aftermarket wishbones had similar issues or used different wishbones!

17 hours ago, NonMember said:

However, once you're driving, enthusiatically, and you crest a hill, the suspension will droop and the contact will be made again, this time as an impact.

That's what I meant about getting the car on the road and testing there. If you adjust now with no engine and no bonnet weight, or even a rad full of coolant, it will be over-adjusted once the car hits the road. I wouldn't adjust (unless absolutely necessary at this point) until the car has obtained the full weight of ancillaries and equipment. This has however highlighted one of the problems of the adjustable wishbones; the tubular construction is broader than the original top wishbone arms so they can make contact with the spring at full droop. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 21/11/2020 at 20:53, rozentas said:

Should I put the buttons on W before painting or after?

I put them on after. I also wrap the spring in Denso plumbers tape, grease-impregnated tape which may help stiffen the spring a bit but certainly stops moisture getting in between the leaves.

4 minutes ago, Colin Lindsay said:

I put them on after. I also wrap the spring in Denso plumbers tape, grease-impregnated tape which may help stiffen the spring a bit but certainly stops moisture getting in between the leaves.

What glue do you use to hold the buttons in place

• 2 weeks later...