1976 Spitfire 1500

I think that we've been here before! Something about a rotor arm sometime in the past. Just not sure of the most practical place to fit one. First for practicality, no good if it's under all the stuff in the boot. Safety also comes into it in that I don't want to put it where the connections might get damaged and allow fuel to escape. I suppose in the engine bay, before the fuel filter is the most practical....until someone comes up with a better idea.

1 hour ago, DVD3500 said:

I just took out the tank of my '72 MKIV and there is a short goose-neck shaped piece of pipe from the tank to the fuel line that goes all the way to the front...

Is the join between the goose neck pipe to the fuel pipe in the boot or under it?

• 4 months later...

Yes, alloy. I had a stripped thread in one of mine. Smeared some structural adhesive around the inside of the thread, lightly oiled the nut and carefully screwed in. Unscrewed just as the adhesive was going off and left to cure. It appears to have worked well, so using structural adhesive on the cracks may be suitable. Of course make sure that you clean out any muck and grease from the cracks before applying and clean off any excess bonding with a knife while it is setting and in a sort of plasticky state as it will set like concrete. Prime/undercoat/top coat as normal.

• 1 month later...

My gearbox did not have a detent spring when I got the car. Can’t figure out how to fit it.  Do I put the plunger in first then the spring then the cap from outside the gearbox extension or do these need to be fit from inside the extension when the gearbox is dismantled?78893416-2BEE-43F9-B7F2-9F49BC28900F.thumb.jpeg.eb3539d4bbeba8f80ebc827ad01646e2.jpeg

you have to remove the rear cover  fit the spring in the borehole with the plunger pointy end facing the shaft you have to 

feed the remote shaft over the plunger  the cap just seals off the open end of the bore hole drilling 

dont recall on a single rail if this needs the whole remote off or from which end you feed the remote in 

sorry  memory is fogged on that bit  theres pin to remove it the end or the remote shaft to extract it ???

Pete

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Trying to start the car for the first time, no joy yet.  Fuel in the tank but it’s not being sucked up to the carbs by the fuel pump when I turn the car over. I split the hoses just before the pump and tried to prime the system by turning the car over.  Fuel did get to the rear carb at least because I saw it dripping out of the air filter.  How do I get the fuel to the carbs without constantly having to prime the system?

Thats because the float valve hasnt shut completely so some fuel still keeps flowing into the chamber until it overflows. It can be because of too high pump pressure, dirt, worn valves or stuck valves. This last happens quite often to cars that dont get used regularly because the fuel in the chamber evaporates and leaves a stick residue. Tapping the chamber with a screwdriver can help to get the valves to seal or sometimes they just start to work when the residue gets disolved by the fresh fuel.

You really need to fix the problem before driving as you dont want fuel dripping out near the exhaust manifold. You can try tapping or leaving it a while and having another go but if it persists the float valves probably need to come out for a clean... 

ok and I take it the valve is well sealed where it screws into the carb. I think there should be a washer and of course done up tightly.

If you undo the float chamber you might be able to blow into the fuel inlet while manually operating the float to check that the valve closes correctly...

as you have disturbed the fuel hoses i guess it has no got the dreaded rubber slivers jamming the float valves 

these are made when you push fuel  hose over the metal pipework and a small sliver gets chopped of and floats about till it jams in the back of the float valve   ..these little sods are very common   but the more you mess the more you make 

Pete