Drive shaft UJs

PeterH

One of the jobs I hope to get round to is replacing the driveshaft UJs on my Mk3 Spit. I bought the GKN ones from the club some time ago but haven't got round to fitting them. The workshop manual (Reprint of the Triumph one) mentions different thickness circlips though the parts book only lists one and of course the replacement only come with the one size.

Why were there different ones originally ? Can one of X-spurts enlighten me. (You know the definition of an expert is a drip under pressure !  )

Wear in the yoke, maybe stretching. And tolerances etc etc.

Canleys and others sell different thicknesses. It is essential to get the endcups tight with no possibility of movement. Luckily on a newly changed UJ it is not hard to change the circlips on the car. A loose UJ will click, and wear the yoke which means it will become scrap. 

I generally fit the supplied circlips, wiggle the uj around a bit, then remove a circlip, use a socket and give the cup a wack to push it as far in as possible. then try to fit oversized circlips. Then turn 90 degees and repeat on the next circlip. Keep going until you cannot get any thicker circlips in. If using a greasable UJ best to grease it once completed, though the strongest UJs are not greasable. 

Setting the UJs tight is not required on the propshaft, only the driveshafts.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, clive said:

If using a greasable UJ best to grease it once completed, though the strongest UJs are not greasable. 

I usually cheat and grease mine whilst fitting; remove the grease nipple, fill the end cups with grease, and as you push each one into place the grease is forced into the rest of the UJ and eventually out of the aperture for the grease nipple. Last cup fitted will squeeze a 'worm' of grease out, wipe it off and replace the grease nipple, secure in the knowledge that all four cups are now freshly greased. It helps keep the needle rollers in place too. 

Some of the UL's have a #witches hat' plate in the bottom of the rollers.

This would stop grease passing from one cup, throught he needle rollers and into any other cup and then out through the nipple hole.

Roger