Rocker cover leaking

Alex Lowe

Hi all

So iv had a few drops of oil leaking for my engine in the GT6 and slowly trying to trouble shoot the problem. which iv defiantly got a leak from the rocker cover gasket which i replaced recently with a new silicon version yeah still leaks anyone got any suggestions on how to rectify this?

tin cover or alloy  ,????

you cant use a silicon version on a tin cover that needs to be cork/rubber std  seal  and carefully fixed located to stay in place when fitting

eg  try  glue or sealer  and weighted down to firmly set the seal onto the tin cover face .

the silicon joint will only be successful on a machined flat face 

Pete

Im surprised by this as the one I bought linked below states it shouldn't need sealer and should be fine in standard covers.

If I do require sealer whats recommended 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REUSABLE-Triumph-GT6-Vitesse-TR5-TR6-2000-2500-SILICONE-STD-Rocker-Cover-Gasket/222420535772?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

8 minutes ago, Alex Lowe said:

Im surprised by this as the one I bought linked below states it shouldn't need sealer and should be fine in standard covers.

If I do require sealer whats recommended 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/REUSABLE-Triumph-GT6-Vitesse-TR5-TR6-2000-2500-SILICONE-STD-Rocker-Cover-Gasket/222420535772?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

That looks a high price even with postage. What thickness is yours ? the silicone one I purchased for my Vitesse with alloy cover is 1.6 mm and the cork one approx 5 mm 

Paul

well,  sealant can solve lots of leaks , remember you may need to take the cover of for tappet servicing so it needs to be removable not glued to the head  so hence suggest sealer on the cover leave the head face clean . how the silicon seal works is very dependant on  the thickness of the seal and the state and flatness of the cover ,  tin covers after 50 years can be quite distorted

and even when new the old thick cork type was designed to take up undulations and be squashed down well by the fixings  

pete

Alex,

Your copy is only pressed out steel, pretty flexible and prone to twisting.

Get it off, remove the gasket and lay it on a flat surface.   A table is fine.   See if the cover is flat on the table.    If not, 'tweak' it until it is.     With lucjk, this will distribute the load frm the cover nuts more evenly and make a seal.

JOhn

And don't forget to flatten the stud/bolt holes for the cover. They are often get pulled. Easy to flatten, turn the cover upside down, and I use a socket extension as a drift and hammer flat. Really helps, especially the seal around the stud/bolt. 

But the biggest issue is, as John points out, deformation. I find the kitchen worksurface  very flat