1500 Cam and rebuild advice

Foggers

Hi All,

I'm just rebuilding a standard 1500 engine for Spitfire, and am going to fit a new cam. I'm not looking at doing any tuning work on it, so upgrades are not of primary importance. Just after a solid reliable motor. If, for around the same sort of money, I can get something a little better without porting etc, then that would be good. It appears that TH5 and TR5 do not do much without the extra work. The vast array of cams of different grinds and manufacturers is giving me a headache, so would someone please make the decision for me?

I've read about the concerns of hardening on regrinds, so don't want to go for an exchange, unless someone knows of a source that is known to have a good re-hardening process. I am interested in the price!!

When the existing (dying) motor comes out, that may get treated quite differently!!

Any other pointers for supply of the other internal gratefully received. Who supplies high quality mains/ends at a good price? What are all these complete rebuild kits like?

Many thanks for your offerings.

Brendan

Again spending my money on her spitfire!!

For engine spares I use http://www.gbhspares.co.uk/Start00.html one because he's local to me, but mainly because he has an incredible amount of NOS items and anything he has remade is of good quality.

My replacement camshaft was from Newman Cams via one of the Triumph Traders. If you're unsure of what camshaft you want, then I'd say speak to one of the traders who actually build and race the engines, they can speak from experience. 

Newman cams are the people to go to. Really.

TR5 cam (ie the 150bhp profile) is good as it is meant to work at lower RPM than many others, so ideally suited to the 1500 engine. And should wotrk well as long as you have a head skim to raise the CR, around 9.75 would be good. Combine with a 4 branch manifold and proper tuning of the carbs and you will see 90-100bhp. But it will cost......(rolling road session, the manifold and the skim. Don't forget new cam followers too)

Do not be guided by price. All too often you save a tenner, only to find out you have to strip the engine down and then buy the decent part after all. False economy. At the moment the county/king trimetal/HD bearings are the best easily sourced ones. But on a hard driven engine, you will be needing a thermostatic oil cooler and decent oil.......don't skimp here or the crank will not last very long. I have a few t shirts, stopped getting them when I fitted the cooler and millers CSS oil.

If that all seems too much, stick with a std spec cam, or maybe the mk3 spit profile cam. But unless you are prepared for the journey, do not start down the path. It ends in disappointment and often misery (t shirt again!)

Thanks very much. Newman road cam ordered. When I get the about-to-die unit out, that may get a little bit of hot work done to it, in the knowledge that the one I am currently rebuilding will be a reliable backup.

Cheers

Brendan

Thanks very much,

Newman "road" cam ordered. As I said, this is a standard motor build to replace the current unit which is about to die. The sick one may get rebuilt as something a bit fancier :)

Back with more questions later.

Cheers

Brendan

For bearings has anyone tried the new tri-metal bearings that have come on to the market, meant to be made from the same material as the new hen's teeth Vandervell VP2 bearings?

A few of the US parts suppliers list them but not seen them at any UK ones, other than Revington TR in 6-packs.

In the US Moss list them, though for a good bit more than British Parts Northwest.

The things you find AFTER you've just fought to replace the bearing with County ones laying under the car in the garage.