GT6 Gutter termination at front

34 minutes ago, Ian Faulds said:

hi doug, yes i read yours is origonal, but i think that the  look of nigels and chris is better on the eye, mine anyway. thanks though.

It's interesting to see Doug's gutter, exactly as the factory finished it. I suspect restorers make more effort to neaten the finish than ever happened on the production line, and not just the gutters.

Nigel

1 hour ago, Nigel Clark said:

It's interesting to see Doug's gutter, exactly as the factory finished it. I suspect restorers make more effort to neaten the finish than ever happened on the production line, and not just the gutters.

I think you're right, I suspect the last GT6s depended a lot on what they had in the left overs bucket!

Doug

6 hours ago, KevinR said:

Looks quite neat and tidy to me :blink:  and its been waterproofed !

Hmm, yes the waterproofing. Many yards of Duck tape there. I had a particularly fraught time  when connecting us into “the grid”. It started to rain and I had other people’s supplies unplugged, big rush to get it done before I experienced a less than desirable rush. Worth it though. Fridge remained cold from the journey down. You can’t beat that first beer at Le Mans when everything’s set up and you can relax. 

Guys,

really enjoyed watching this thread. I’ve got some roof issues myself and need to address the front lip. Having said that it is more the sides that concern me as they have butchered and not too sure how to repair them - any thoughts!?

20BAA956-E786-49D5-B804-9515A00E411D.jpeg

18 minutes ago, Gt6ball said:

Guys,

really enjoyed watching this thread. I’ve got some roof issues myself and need to address the front lip. Having said that it is more the sides that concern me as they have butchered and not too sure how to repair them - any thoughts!?

Three options: let some new metal back in or weld every hole or carry out a complete roof replacement. At least with #1 when you cut out the outer crap and can attend to the normally inaccessible internal face too. Every cloud. 
If you design a repair section for the side/outer, you could send me the pattern and I’ll model it in CAD for you so that you can get laser cut sections done. Free service. 

On 02/07/2020 at 23:12, Adrian Saunders said:

Three options: let some new metal back in or weld every hole or carry out a complete roof replacement. At least with #1 when you cut out the outer crap and can attend to the normally inaccessible internal face too. Every cloud. 
If you design a repair section for the side/outer, you could send me the pattern and I’ll model it in CAD for you so that you can get laser cut sections done. Free service. 

That looks like a major challenge. Thoughts: When there are pinholes around the site of a previous welded repair it's not an encouraging sign for the integrity of either the weld metal or the parent metal. My own approach is to give such suspect areas a touch with a brief pulse of MIG and if it just burns back then then repair sections are going to be needed in any case. I'd think that replacing the roof panel would be an absolutely last resort. AFAIK the GT6 roof is roll-seam welded and v.difficult to unpick (unlike, say, a classic Mini roof which is spot welded so more 'unpickable').

Recreating the rain channel would occupy my mind a lot because its smooth sweep is something that defines the aesthetics of the car. One possibility might to scavenge some rain channel off another vehicle to give at least a starting point rather than working freehand. if possible, because of the delicacy of the work I'd opt for TIG rather than MIG welding.

Hope that contributes to your thoughts.

Cheers

C

hi adrian, from your pic are you talking about the lip only or the bit going up to the main roof? its difficult too tell wheather the lumpy bits on the side ar filler or lead.

if its just the lip i would cut it back level and make/fit a new one, anything bigger is a headache, be difficult to find a whole roof so youll probably have to cut out and repair, 

first thing is to strip the whole roof of paint and filler and asses whats there. good luck

On 02/07/2020 at 22:46, Gt6ball said:

Guys,

Hey fella, have you been nailing it together? 

B8E9F128-F277-4E2C-8CF1-D76D1BF982ED.jpeg