1500 Spitfire won’t start

Neil Barlow

I would put the top back on the pump connect the pipe from the tank and the operate the lever manually you should get a good squirt of fuel with each pump. If you do then the pump is basically fine. If not then there is either a blockage or the pump is not working. There are kits available to repair or buy a replacement. Also try with the fuel cap open as a blocked tank breather could cause pressure

Before chucking the pump... do you have a fuel can and a length of spare hose? Just to test it off the motor by operating the level yourself. I'm deeply suspicious of braided fuel hose and what's hiding under the braiding.

I think you are probably right, but before committing to a spend on a pump it might be worth a check.

5 minutes ago, yorkshire_spam said:

you have a fuel can and a length of spare hose

I hate braided DIY hoses you have no idea if the actual fuel hose is made of good fit and if sucking air you get no fuel 

so yes a simple test  off the car   is very worthwhile 

if the diaphragm is holed  you........... generally get a leak from the drain hole in the lower body , not always 

keep looking and do some more homework it will pay dividends  before you dump it at the local rip off merchants

Pete 

When you say that the filter is empty, do you mean it is absolutely totally empty, or has a little bit of fuel in it ?

there is a big difference in the diagnosis between the two.

how much fuel is there in the tank ?

if it’s more than half full, disconnect the fuel pipe before the filter and lower the pipe as low as you can - you should get fuel flowing out of the pipe - if not there is a blockage in the pipe from the tank.

1 hour ago, KevinR said:

if it’s more than half full, disconnect the fuel pipe before the filter and lower the pipe as low as you can - you should get fuel flowing out of the pipe - if not there is a blockage in the pipe from the tank.

I'd agree on an earlier Spitfire, or a car that's been running recently, but if the fuel pipe is dry it won't syphon past the high tank pickup on a 1500 until you give it a suck.

50 minutes ago, NonMember said:

if the fuel pipe is dry it won't syphon past the high tank pickup on a 1500 until you give it a suck.

I'd try just that but with the fuel filter removed. It may be that the pipes have collapsed; it's happened to me before. Try the system with no filter and see if it improves things.

(It's hardly been fitted back to front... you can blow into the pipe and make bubbles in the tank, but the fuel won't flow in the opposite direction?)

filter.jpg.69cd325690278c8b270b19f75a5cdbdf.jpg

Hi,

We would like to say a great big thank you to all that advised us, especially Pete Lewis who spurred us on and encouraged us to keep trying when we were frustrated and about to give up and go to a garage, and Doug who made it really simple.

We have fitted a new fuel pump today and our Spitfire is now running.
Thank you again,

Wendy

thats good to know,  never give up pleased a few words of encouragement  worked .  always worth a try 

much of these cars is very DIY  given a few clues 

keep asking there is always someone out here to help out

before you abandon the wallet 

Pete

2 hours ago, Neil Barlow said:

Hi,

We would like to say a great big thank you to all that advised us, especially Pete Lewis who spurred us on and encouraged us to keep trying when we were frustrated and about to give up and go to a garage, and Doug who made it really simple.

We have fitted a new fuel pump today and our Spitfire is now running.
Thank you again,

Wendy

Don't think about the money spent on parts... think about the money saved on garage labour! 🙂

6 hours ago, Neil Barlow said:

and Doug who made it really simple.

That’s because I’m.... really..............☹️

If I can do it anybody can! 😆

Don’t hesitate to ask us more!

Doug