Anyone been out in their car?

Steve P

Not exactly been out in the car for a couple of weeks, weather & household tasks prevented me. Today I did start it and move it to the other side of the courtyard as the roofer is coming tomorrow. Started immediately, so did my smile!

Monday I have a Covid jab appointment and if the weather is dry, warm would be a plus, I'm going in the Herald - roof down of course!

• Like 1

My GT6 made its way down to Hampshire last week for it's Spring holiday - we've some building work starting at home this week, so needed the Triumph out of the way. It's now residing in my parents' garage. Had a good run down via the A505, M1, M25 and M3, before hopping off the motorway to cut down to Odiham, Alton and then through the Meon Valley to the coast. Around 120 miles and just under half a tank of fuel.

I'll be visiting once a month until the building works are complete and the GT6 can return home!

Gully

• Like 1

A short trip out in the spitfire, and gave it a rudimentary wash. It was VERY grubby after 6+ months in the garage.

Can report I didn't do anything to teh alloy wheels, they don't show the dirt. 

Can also say the rebuilt box seems better once warm, much slicker into gear. So pleased with that.  

7 hours ago, clive said:

A short trip out in the spitfire, and gave it a rudimentary wash. It was VERY grubby after 6+ months in the garage.

Can report I didn't do anything to teh alloy wheels, they don't show the dirt. 

Can also say the rebuilt box seems better once warm, much slicker into gear. So pleased with that.  

Mine needs a wash. And Polish. 

13 hours ago, Chris A said:

Short trip out today to a local restaurant to collect a 'takeaway' - it has a Michelin Bibendum.

Tomorrow it will take me for my Covid jab

A bit cool this morning, 09h30 here 08h30 UK time, roof down but windows up sunny morning so very enjoyable. Treated the car to a big drink of petrol as well while out.

Hello All

We had a ride out Shobdon Airfield last Wednesday for Breakfast then to Bringsty Common Café for afternoon Tiffin.

We did about 130 miles 

Its a Hard life but someone has to do it so we have stepped up to the plate!

Roger 

DSC02218.JPG

DSC02216.JPG

DSC02219.JPG

• Like 1

Went to get TR out of garage Saturday to give it a wipe over with a damp chamois, started a treat, dip clutch to put it in gear, clock, straight to floor.

Ar*e. 

4 hours and much bodgery later, having confirmed my fears from last year that the cross shaft pin has failed, I reversed it out if the garage.

slave seal had reached end of travel and leaked fluid out. Bodged It by spacing the slave with a couple of nuts so the piston doesn't move so fa r down the bore.

Taking the gearbox out can wait for another day.

Quick thrash round the lanes, and realised how much I missed the growl of a Triumph 6.

Not sure the locals missed it as much... 🙂

• Like 1

10 hours ago, thescrapman said:

Went to get TR out of garage Saturday to give it a wipe over with a damp chamois, started a treat, dip clutch to put it in gear, clock, straight to floor.

Ar*e. 

4 hours and much bodgery later, having confirmed my fears from last year that the cross shaft pin has failed, I reversed it out if the garage.

slave seal had reached end of travel and leaked fluid out. Bodged It by spacing the slave with a couple of nuts so the piston doesn't move so fa r down the bore.

Taking the gearbox out can wait for another day.

Quick thrash round the lanes, and realised how much I missed the growl of a Triumph 6.

Not sure the locals missed it as much... 🙂

Having just pulled the gearbox out and back in twice in about a week i know your reluctance to pull out. Going back in the second time was easier. Hands to lift and guide at the front, knees and shins to lift and push at the rear. First having lifted in sort of position with two jacks.

11 hours ago, rogerguzzi said:

Its a Hard life but someone has to do it so we have stepped up to the plate!

Roger 

Nowhere open near us, yet, so we just made our own tea stop to fly the Triumph flag... a few Club members called down with me and we had a great afternoon servicing the cars on Saturday. Beautiful weather and a lot of EP90 oil everywhere... all socially distanced 2m apart too. Honest.

A1F9BB83-340B-4D59-9049-28390C83C814_1_105_c.jpg.19ffe8b13d05ccd7fa39a6434234b019.jpg 448788DC-6963-4672-BC5F-93F28B06BD32_1_105_c.jpg.29ddf539edcd602e603966207d5f4108.jpg 5AF8C76B-4DE4-49AC-ADAB-51D45D136AC5_1_105_c.jpg.f0f661060758134e082fcca215a7bc42.jpg

• Like 1

Hello Colin

You lot put funny things in your tea and coffee !!

Roger

Ps off out on Wednesday we have decided to go out every Wednesday if weather is good or one of the other mid week ones

One of the advatages of being retired? The down side is bein old!

So we thought time is getting short and we do not think we will be touring Spain this year in Spitty so every week and some week ends

Roger

If it isn't going to rain i'll use the Herald for commuting to work. Only 12 miles along country lanes.

Yesterday I knew the fuel was getting low so headed home along the A1 into Grantham.

Whilst sitting at lights in the middle of town she stopped. An embarrassing few minutes whilst I unlocked the boot, turned the fuel handle to Reserve, lifted the plastic tank out, unlocked the filler cap, poured in about 1 litre, got back in the car and drove the 1/2 mile to the Shell garage.

Not going to make that mistake again - handle is staying on Reserve and i'll add another filter into the line above the tank to join the one just before the pump. (I bought 10 filters for £6 on the Bay - not to be sniffed at)

All this just after a fella had rolled his window down to say 'nice car mate'.

Pride comes before a fall.

drive it day sunday Baldock services leave at 11 am   

off to  garden centre , not disclosed as thats organising , its a "fancy seeing you here" follow me drive 

you can ask for a route but i cant be seen to be handing them out , so its sort of a secret squirrel day out

about an hours run . to the GC  toilets and cafe will be open cafe outside  cant say about the Loo's but open 

baldock  most outlets are open and the Loo;s     these thing are important to OAPs 

anyones welcome  just hide under a rug  !!!!

Pete

Hello All

I had a run out in Spitty yesterday and happened to mention it to a couple of friends and they decided to go to the same place as I said I was going!

The truth is I could not loose them in the twisty bits!

So we all ended up at Hellen Manor Herefordshire.

I hope the tea I drank did not come in that tea chest!

Then the cheeky blighters followed me to a Café on Bringsty Common for a cake etc  

Roger

DSC02228.JPG

DSC02230.JPG

DSC02247.JPG

DSC02232.JPG

DSC02249.JPG

DSC02240.JPG

DSC02238.JPG

• Like 3

Took the Heep to get four new tyres and then on to a hood fitting co. to ask if they could make up a fold up screen for the large opening behind my head..... Sorry, no trimmers...Covid.

I shall search elsewhere.

The Heep has a starting issue, fires straight up on full choke, but before it's fully warmed up, it only wants to fire on 2 or 3 cylinders. Give it a bit of welly and it eventually kicks in all 4.

It's 1500 with twin 150 Strombergs on an SAH manifold. 

The tyre fitter was quite put out by the behaviour of the rear wheels when he jacked it up, after I told him to jack under the diff....

9 hours ago, Peter Truman said:

mark re your twin 150CD's do you know what needles are fitted and the diaphgram damper spring colour none, blue or red.

Query is I'm fitting twin 150 Stroms to a spare 1500 engine for daughters Spitfire'

I will have to dismantle and check!